Sponsored by:

NOS 5177 Kit CA. legality/performance questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 10:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOS 5177 Kit CA. legality/performance questions

This is a two fold question.

1. NOS-5177 was one of Summit Racing's most popular kits here in California. There is a 4 page thread on a local forum here about it's legality. Some have even been cited as gross polluters. Summit sold it as a "50 state legal" kit and I bought and installed it. Now the Air Resources Board (CARB) doesn't list it as CARB approved! I went to check Summit Racing http://www.summitracing.com part # NOS 5177 and it says Summit no longer sells this kit! I just bought it last month! Can anyone comment on this? It didn't come with a CARB number so it shouldn't have been listed as 50 state legal IMHO!

#2. I traded my 15 lb bottle from the above kit for a 10 lb bottle. The 10lb bottle I got in exchange is an older bottle and is not "hi-flow".
Bummer, how much of a performance hit did I take by losing my hi flow bottle? At least it fits and is hidden now...

Thanks!
Old 07-23-2002, 11:57 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: NOS 5177 Kit CA. legality/performance questions

In reply to the first question... There is NO nitrous kit that is legal in CA. I had a long chat with a cop i work with, he is a Hayward Sherrif. He told me that if i got pulled over with my kit installed, if there was any trace of nitrous in the car, any cop would have it towed. It was my understanding that if the bottle was not in the car when you got pulled over, then they cant do anything... wrong. In no way whatsoever, is nitrous street legal. Doesnt matter if you use it on the track or street, if its installed, you're fucked if you get pulled over. Im seriously considering not putting in my kit. I cant afford to have my car impounded. Its my daily driver. All of the info i got from my cop friend was backed up, he brought me a file consisting of all the codes, violations, and things he can get me on. Im not sure if i want to do nitrous anymore.
Old 07-24-2002, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Default Re: NOS 5177 Kit CA. legality/performance questions

Thanks for the reply.

Summit's policy is pretty strict about not sending parts to states where they are illegal. For example they will not ship long tubes if you tell them you live in California. But they mark this as "50 state legal" then pull it? I still have the magazine. I love Summit but I think they have some splaining to do on this....