Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous in NANO bottle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 11:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous in NANO bottle?

To begin with, I purchased a complete nitrous system with every part possible (and some extras) NIB from another forum member for our C5. I've dealt with nitrous before on some LT1 cars but it was already installed so this is my first adventure with the LS engine and doing the complete installation ourselves. Needless to say all of the parts were a little overwhelming and I've had to do a lot of research and question asking to figure it all out. We are done with all of the nitrous and NANO parts being installed and just need to tackle the wiring now which I think I have a plan. We've made a couple mistakes along the way (that's how I learn personally) but think we are almost there.

Here is my question: can nitrous go "back" into a full NANO bottle? I didn't know to put the check valve on the nitrous bottle (have that fixed now) so when I went to fill bottles I filled the NANO first at a local scuba shop. It's the 3000 bottle. When we went to fill the nitrous bottle we attached the NANO line to that port to keep nitrous from coming out and just had to deal with the two bottles being filled and connected by a line. Again, I have all that figured out now and correct.

Well, now the nitrous bottle is empty. ??? BUT ... when I took the line off between the bottles to fix the check valve issue I cracked the valve on the NANO bottle and nitrous came out (chilled the braided line). Could nitrous back-flow into a full NANO bottle? That surprised me. I'm going to empty the NANO bottle (costs $5 to fill) and start again filling them both now that we are straight on the check valve but I'm still curious where our nitrous went.

Scott
Old 02-11-2014, 12:01 PM
Launching!

I honestly think u have a leak somewhere. If the nano and notrous bottles are full the max pressure in a nitrous bottle is 700 maybe 800psi maybe higher depending on how hot or cold it is in ur area. Nano is 3000 or 4500 psi so if anything the nano pushed all the nitrous out of the bottle if it leaked. Check the nitrous bottle and make sure the valve isn't leaking. Only way to check It is to refill it and spray soapy water around it the valve and watch for bubbles
Old 02-11-2014, 12:04 PM
Launching!

Also take pictures and show the port on the bottle u had to add a check valve to my nano came with a entire new valve u have to put on ur own bottle unless u bought the entire kit that came with a nitrous bottle
Old 02-11-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GIMPY02
I honestly think u have a leak somewhere. If the nano and notrous bottles are full the max pressure in a nitrous bottle is 700 maybe 800psi maybe higher depending on how hot or cold it is in ur area. Nano is 3000 or 4500 psi so if anything the nano pushed all the nitrous out of the bottle if it leaked. Check the nitrous bottle and make sure the valve isn't leaking. Only way to check It is to refill it and spray soapy water around it the valve and watch for bubbles
Thanks. I thought the same thing myself. Perhaps since the NANO valve was closed there was nitrous in the line from the nitrous bottle to the NANO bottle since I didn't have a check valve in at that time (it is in the port across from the gauge between the blow-off port and exit line). I most likely did have a leak somewhere; I went through and secured everything so hopefully it is ok now. That was a $54 mistake as I wasted a bottle of nitrous.

Scott
Old 02-11-2014, 12:35 PM
Launching!

Hope u get it fixed. If u have any questions feel free to send me a pm.
Old 02-11-2014, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GIMPY02
Hope u get it fixed. If u have any questions feel free to send me a pm.
Thanks. I think I have it now. Will do if I have any questions. I just know when those two original boxes arrived it was very overwhelming as that was a bunch of parts! It's been fun figuring everything out. Now on to the wiring ...

Scott
Old 02-11-2014, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
To begin with, I purchased a complete nitrous system with every part possible (and some extras) NIB from another forum member for our C5. I've dealt with nitrous before on some LT1 cars but it was already installed so this is my first adventure with the LS engine and doing the complete installation ourselves. Needless to say all of the parts were a little overwhelming and I've had to do a lot of research and question asking to figure it all out. We are done with all of the nitrous and NANO parts being installed and just need to tackle the wiring now which I think I have a plan. We've made a couple mistakes along the way (that's how I learn personally) but think we are almost there.

Here is my question: can nitrous go "back" into a full NANO bottle? I didn't know to put the check valve on the nitrous bottle (have that fixed now) so when I went to fill bottles I filled the NANO first at a local scuba shop. It's the 3000 bottle. When we went to fill the nitrous bottle we attached the NANO line to that port to keep nitrous from coming out and just had to deal with the two bottles being filled and connected by a line. Again, I have all that figured out now and correct.

Well, now the nitrous bottle is empty. ??? BUT ... when I took the line off between the bottles to fix the check valve issue I cracked the valve on the NANO bottle and nitrous came out (chilled the braided line). Could nitrous back-flow into a full NANO bottle? That surprised me. I'm going to empty the NANO bottle (costs $5 to fill) and start again filling them both now that we are straight on the check valve but I'm still curious where our nitrous went.

Scott
If you did not have the check valve in, the pressure in the nitrous bottle may eventually exceed the pressure in the NANO bottle and not sure if it would "push" the other direction, but maybe so.

However, the push port where you connected the NANO to the nitrous bottle only pushes in air pressure and should not route liquid nitrous to the NANO bottle. The actual nitrous pickup is a tube that is close to the bottom of the bottle. That said, you probably had a little nitrous backpressure in the NANO bottle and no real worries.

Maybe you could post a picture of how its connected. I think you are ok, once you put the check-valve in. Note, you can fill the nitrous and NANO bottles independently, then attach the NANO when you are ready to pressurize the n20 bottle.

Good luck w/your setup. Post up pics if poss. maybe somebody will spot a problem.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Make sure you have sealant on your nitrous bottle accessory ports. The ports where you put a bottle gauge, pressure relief valve and the nano valve. If you don't it will leak down.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

all gases except hydrogen, helium and neon cool upon expansion...

you did not see nitrous......you saw plain old nitrogen freezing the line
its compressed in the bottle, and expands as it comes out.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a picture that should show how I have it.

The place now where the NANO braided line is coming into the nitrous bottle (right side of nitrous bottle) now has a check valve and I just flipped the braided line around.

Yes, I also went through and made sure every fitting on the nitrous bottle had sealant.

Look ok?

Scott
Old 02-12-2014, 01:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here is our C5.

We've been 11.58 with a 1.50 60' in good air. Bolt-on car with an IHRA Pure Stock legal stock lift/stock duration cam. Our goal is go mid-10s on nitrous and 9s when we do AI 243 heads and Tick SNS Stage III cam.

Scott
Old 02-12-2014, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by soundengineer
all gases except hydrogen, helium and neon cool upon expansion...

you did not see nitrous......you saw plain old nitrogen freezing the line
its compressed in the bottle, and expands as it comes out.
That makes sense. You're probably correct. I should have paid more attention in Chemistry once upon a time ...
Old 02-12-2014, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tar Heel
Here is our C5.

We've been 11.58 with a 1.50 60' in good air. Bolt-on car with an IHRA Pure Stock legal stock lift/stock duration cam. Our goal is go mid-10s on nitrous and 9s when we do AI 243 heads and Tick SNS Stage III cam.

Scott
it just doesn't get better than a nitrous powered c5z. edit: is that a z? either way, same basic car.

Last edited by 03EBZ06; 02-12-2014 at 02:05 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Coupe. I'm too old and way too dumb to be able to shift gears.

Scott

Quick Reply: nitrous in NANO bottle?