Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

12v Keyed ignition source options

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2016, 09:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Default 12v Keyed ignition source options

When you have multiple wires (in my case 6 + gauges) that all require a 12v keyed ignition source, what is the best way to wire it up so that you don't over load the circuit?

There are several locations from what I’ve read:

1. Underneath the steering wheel, behind the kick panel, big brown wire on the top of the white block that’s in there.
2. Pink wire on your ignition harness going to the switch in the steering column.
3. Pink wire on radio harness
4. Single spade connector hole on the fues box in the car on the side of the dash marked IGN. use a small male spade. (I’m currently using this for my gauges.)

So can I splice off the location in #4 above and run it to a fused distribution block as seen in my diagram here:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...k-correct.html

The fuse sizes for each wire coming out of the block to be used as a keyed ign source are listed in the diagram.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could always have a relay power a distribution block. Local parts store should have some sort of fused multi port block. I have one from autozone that has 6 fused spade connectors. Just have a relay power it.
Old 05-08-2016, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 197 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by jerr6
You could always have a relay power a distribution block. Local parts store should have some sort of fused multi port block. I have one from autozone that has 6 fused spade connectors. Just have a relay power it.
How does this look? Added the relay you mentioned:

http://s234.photobucket.com/user/dpapag/media/camaro/n2o%20diagram%206_zpswh2m4tyy.png.html
Old 05-08-2016, 08:41 AM
On The Tree

seems good to me. now you only pulling low load from fuse panel to switch on a relay and that can provide plenty power for your accessories
Old 05-08-2016, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

You probably could get rid of the relay for the purge since it will be fed from a relay already. I just had to disconnect my fuel pressure safety switch. Gave me issues but I'm on a carbed engine. Much lower fuel pressure.

Quick Reply: 12v Keyed ignition source options