Sponsored by:

high miles + nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high miles + nitrous?

okay so i picked up a 2001 1500 extended cab with a 5.3L that has 246,500 miles

i am a LT1 guy and this is my first LS motor. i know the last 100k on it has been very well maintained buy my lil brother. the motor has about 50psi oil pressure at idle then little over 60psi when at WOT. also it doesnt have the notorious piston slap on start up that i have heard other LS motors have.

i have sprayed my fair share of nitrous with my LT1 racecar but i dont know anything about this newer style motors.

it has a hypertech tuner on it but i can put the stock tune back in if i need to for better timing maps. but i am wanting to spray a 100 - 150 shot on it ... but like i have said i dont know anything about these motors. high mileage motors are looser generally and seem to do okay with spray but what do you guys say

LM7, ~250k, good oil pressure +a little spray ?
Old 07-05-2016, 09:18 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are people who spray high-mileage LS motors all of the time. However, it's hard to say how much it will take and for how long since the engine already has quite a bit of wear. Your best bet would be to pull the timing using a LNC-2000, keep a conservative tune in it, and have some fun. A 100-150hp hit shouldn't be much of an issue- but I wouldn't push it too much just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't see any issues with spraying it. Like AJ said, pull enough timing and be conservative with the tune. Make sure you put the right plugs in and read the tune-up based on how the plugs look. Go slow with the hit and build up from there with that data you're getting from the plug readings.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Do a compression/leak down it is the only way to see how healthy it is.

If you see any #'s that make you suspect an issue pull the intake, if you see a lot of oil in the intake port I would be very Leary.... Oil and nitrous are a bad combo, ring seal is probably the most critical piece of the engine outside of the cam, piston and chamber design that will dictate how it will work with nitrous. If you have blow by, it's going to cause detonation issues and you won't be playing for long.

My .02 fwiw.

Quick Reply: high miles + nitrous?