Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help...Engine revving out of control :(

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help...Engine revving out of control :(

Well after a night of probably a few too many nitrous runs, my car is freaking out. At the end of the last run the engine "stuck" at about 3k at though the throttle was stuck. I threw it in neutral and it started revving like crazy, climbing toword the rev limiter so I shut the car down, shut off all the switches, and closed the valve on the bottle. I popped the hood and check for anything out of the ordinary. After disconecting my MAF translator and checking for a sticking throttle blade or anything else out of the ordinary, I started the car back up and it was fine. Then on the way home I was on the highway and this riced out probe tried to race me so I got on the throttle and it did the same thing...acting like it was stuck. With my foot completely off the throttle it would stay at about 2k, and when I put it in neutral it would rev sky high. Pulled over to the side of the road, shut it off and waited for a few minutes. This time it revved to about 3-4k then settled back down after a few seconds. It was fine all the way home, but I was very very very easy on it. When idling on the way home it threw a code...when I checked it, it came up 0420: Catalyst efficiency below threshold (bank 1).

Did I F up one of the cats or O2 sensors with my night of hedonistic over-spraying? Anyone ever see anything like this before? Any help is greatly apprecitated. If this would be better suited in a different forum, let me know.

P.S. My setup is SLP lid, true dual catback with stock cats, stock MAF de-screened, NGK TR6s, MSD wires, NOS 5177 style dry kit.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

if you have a WOT switch, make sure it doesn't interfere with the cable or TB mecanism which could keep it open undesirably... worth checking with the engine off.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:43 PM
11 Second Club

At the end of the last run the engine "stuck" at about 3k at though the throttle was stuck. I threw it in neutral and it started revving like crazy, climbing toword the rev limiter so I shut the car down, shut off all the switches, and closed the valve on the bottle.
That sounds like the nitrous noid stuck Wide Open and was sprying nitrous into the motor, atleast thats what happened to me when mine stuck open....

Altho, if it does it with the bottle closed, that cant be the case....HMMMMM.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

sounds kinda like your TPS or IAC came unplugged?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Deckhand
sounds kinda like your TPS or IAC came unplugged?
I would check these two items as this gent suggests and I would also check the O2 sensors as well. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

PS- My Turbo Buick would fry an O2 sensor every now and then when I had the gas on it.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I pulled the intake apart and cleaned the MAF, the IAC and the TPS with contact cleaner, then cleaned everything I could in the intake with carb cleaner. It seems to be ok so far but I haven't had the bawls to bring it to WOT yet Tomorrow I'll climb underneath it and check out the O2s and see if it will behave at WOT *crosses fingers*

Thanks everyone
Old 04-02-2005, 11:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

When the car does this, close the bottle and watch the pressure. If the car calms down when the pressure hits zero, you have a leaky solenoid. Crap can get stuck under the plunger of a solenoid and cause it to leak nitrous.