Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

N2O in a Car Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 12:42 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, if no blow down is present, the bottle will eventually blow up.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:19 AM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

You can open and point the bottle rite at the flame from a cutting torch and noting would happen, xcept maybe blow it out if you got close enough. There is no way it can get mixed evenly in the correct ratio with gasoline on the gound to help it ignite. That is why you will see some nozzle designs that make more power with the same jet sizes cause they atomize the fuel better.

The only danger you should think about is what would happen if the burst disk failed to releive presure. The bottle would exlplode, the same way it would if you filled it up with 5000lbs of compressed air(if that even that would pop it). Prety sure all bottles have a burst disk in em, blow down tube only directs the force and N2O outside of the car when it goes.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned

You should really be worried about the bottle acting like a rocket...... It would probably explose just because if you heated it up its going to build pressure and then explode
Old 04-02-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Gotta agree with the Magic Chicken here, if your that concerned with the bottle exploding in an accident don't use nitrous.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Every nitrous bottle has a disc that's designed to give way in the event that bottle pressure rises too much. This isn't something optional that comes with the vent tube. The optional vent tube mounts OVER the existing disc and just vents the nitrous outside the car in the event of a rupture.

As already mentioned, if you are that concerned about the safety of a nitrous system don't use one. Just don't do something stupid like try to re-engineer the kit, which can cause it to malfunction.

There was a big story a while back about a guy with a squeezed Integra who blew the back half of his car off and took out a portion of his garage due to a nitrous bottle explosion. The guy had the N.E. bottle heater that monitors bottle pressure and adjusts the heater to maintain a set pressure. The pressure sensor is mounted after the valve bottle, and the guy kept leaving his heater on after closing the bottle valve. This had the effect of running the heater wide open trying to bring the bottle up to the pressure setting, but this pressure couldn't be measured by the system because the valve was closed. The guy kept blowing safety pressure discs and got fed up with replacing them, so he eventually added something like three more discs stacked on top of each other bringing the blowoff pressure up to 4-5x where it should have been. The pressure was finally enough to exceed the capacity of the bottle, and turned it into a "bomb" which exploded and caused a lot of damage.

It's stories like this that get spread around and give nitrous a bad name. It wasn't the nitrous system's fault that the owner of the car was a dumbass!

Here's some additional information from the Holley N.O.S. website:
Q: How does nitrous work?
A: Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and one part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process in an engine, at about 572 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by allowing more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer, or dampen the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous "intercooling" effect by reducing intake charge temperatures by 60 to 75 degrees F.
Q: Is nitrous oxide flammable?
A: No. Nitrous Oxide by itself is non-flammable. However, the oxygen present in nitrous oxide causes combustion of fuel to take place more rapidly.
Old 04-03-2005, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

ya i remember saw a picture of the car (only i thought it was a maxima) a few years ago when the bottle exploded. Pretty scary looking
Old 04-03-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

More info:

http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...e-heaters.html

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/42538/index1.html

http://competitionplus.com/05_20_2004/n20_myths.html
Old 04-03-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

i play with the nitrous because i know nothing will happen and everyone for some reason thinks it is flamible. so i play on their ignorance and scare the **** out of them.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gogogadgetcar
ya i remember saw a picture of the car (only i thought it was a maxima) a few years ago when the bottle exploded. Pretty scary looking
I saw it too. That's why I don't do stupid things.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMN
N2O is NON-FLAMIBLE. Wont blow up with a firey blaze. It will prolby blow out the flame and freeze what ever is on fire from the gas that leaked out of the tank from impact.

It will not be be flamable itself but with a source of fuel it will accelerate it. It will keep the firing going hardcore if it's lit(fuel) and the the n20 is supplying the air. It'll accelerate the fire kinda like a cutting torch. You guys are so wrong. If it freezes everything and blows out the flame how would your cylinders in your car combust. Wouldn't they freeze and crack your piston?
Old 04-04-2005, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMN
You can open and point the bottle rite at the flame from a cutting torch and noting would happen, xcept maybe blow it out if you got close enough. There is no way it can get mixed evenly in the correct ratio with gasoline on the gound to help it ignite. That is why you will see some nozzle designs that make more power with the same jet sizes cause they atomize the fuel better.

The only danger you should think about is what would happen if the burst disk failed to releive presure. The bottle would exlplode, the same way it would if you filled it up with 5000lbs of compressed air(if that even that would pop it). Prety sure all bottles have a burst disk in em, blow down tube only directs the force and N2O outside of the car when it goes.
The cutting torches gas is regulated. If there's too much o2 and not enough fuel no burn. Now go out and pour some gas on some firewood. Soak it then lite it and spray some n20 on it and see if you get an even bigger flame, from the extra 02 and there's definintly enough fuel.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trackbird
It would increase the available oxygen in the interior. This would help any fire that is burning to burn better/faster. So, though it won't burn directly, it will accelerate the combustion of anything that happens to be on fire in the area.

This should help.

http://www.inchem.org/documents/icsc/icsc/eics0067.htm

Or.

From here:

http://www.nda.ox.ac.uk/wfsa/html/u18/u1810_01.htm
You my friend are one of the smart ones.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ws six six six
ok, i may be wrong here. I know that the nitrous can not ignite, but if it sits inside of a fire, wouldn't the pressure in the bottle build up until the bottle explodes sending pieces all over. This is assuming of course you don't have a blow down tube. I could be way off with this since I am new to the nitrous scene. Just wondering, Fire would cause the gas inside the bottle to expand till it had now where else to go and if there is no relief valve then that bottle would have to blow right???
yes, pieces of the bottle would go everywhere like a granade. lots of shratanel(sp) everywhere