Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Two stage wiring problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 04:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two stage wiring problems.

So I just wired up my two stage and everything is working like it should but something something is fucked up. When I hit the master arm for 1 relay it automaticly sends power to the other relay too (I think the power is travaling via PIN 85 which is supposed to be a ground). The other relay's solenoids still don't fire until I hit that master arm though, so everything works like it should.

Here's how I have them wired. Two seperate 30 amp relays wired independently except for PINs 85. PIN# 30 is constant 12 v power, PIN 87 is for the solenoid, PIN# 86 is master arm, and both PIN 85s are wired togethor which is cotrolled by a window switch and an inline WOT switch. Now here's the deal, no matter which mast arm I hit it, it powers up both PIN 86s and when I put a test light on both 85s they are showing power (when I ground my my test light it fires the solenoid of that relay). Why is PIN 85 showing power? I though it was suposed to be a ground only. The power is coming from the relay side and not the window switch side.I've been through my whole harness and I know I'm tired, but I'm missing something big here.

BTW: I did not wire these the normal way a 2 stage would be because I didn't want a dedicated stage 1 & stage 2. I want to beable to use which ever I want first.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 07-11-2005 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:28 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by GM Muscle
So I just wired up my two stage and everything is working like it should but something something is fucked up. When I hit the master arm for 1 relay it automaticly sends power to the other relay too (I think the power is travaling via PIN 85 which is supposed to be a ground). The other relay's solenoids still don't fire until I hit that master arm though, so everything works like it should.

Here's how I have them wired. Two seperate 30 amp relays wired independently except for PINs 85. PIN# 30 is constant 12 v power, PIN 87 is for the solenoid, PIN# 86 is master arm, and both PIN 85s are wired togethor which is cotrolled by a window switch and an inline WOT switch. Now here's the deal, no matter which mast arm I hit it, it powers up both PIN 86s and when I put a test light on both 85s they are showing power (when I ground my my test light it fires the solenoid of that relay). Why is PIN 85 showing power? I though it was suposed to be a ground only. The power is coming from the relay side and not the window switch side.I've been through my whole harness and I know I'm tired, but I'm missing something big here.

BTW: I did not wire these the normal way a 2 stage would be because I didn't want a dedicated stage 1 & stage 2. I want to beable to use which ever I want first.
That 85 and 30 on hot terminals should not be hot. 85 going thru the window switch, who switch?
Ricky
Old 07-11-2005, 04:38 PM
10 Second Club

#85 is currently for the grounds (even though they are showing power). Number 30 is always supposed to be 12V battery power right? I'm using two hella (NOS style relays), they are all suposed to have the same terminals in the same positions right?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:51 PM
10 Second Club

I just pulled a relay and they are both deffintaly sharing power through Pin#85.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pin 85 is your ground so if you have them both going to your window switch, they'll have a common ground. With this common ground (because this is the low milla amp relay activation side) it will power both stages. So, when arming it sounds as if your sending ign switched 12v to both relays ( 86 in and 85 out) and when grounded pin 30 batt 12v in leaves through 87 to noids. I used two window switches. That way they'll be totally independant of each other. I also used a third relay so that 2nd stage could not be activated unless 1st stg was sending a ground through #3 relay, but you want total control over each stage, correct. I also put a toggle on 2nd so it can be disabled, and a first gear lock for 2nd stg. Hope this makes sense, as I never proof read my replys.
Robert
Old 07-11-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Yep, makes sense Robert. I got it all figured out, had a brain lapse when I was setting it up. Now all I have to do is put all the harness' I torn apart back togehtor. Today was like a big step forward and then 3 steps back.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea, that wiring can be a pain. I used two different model window switches. One was only an rpm activation sw and it took some doing to figure out how to make it work the way I wanted. I had my panels and wiring harnesses tore apart about half a dozen times, thinking each time I got it now. But now I have what I want. Glad you got it sorted out.
Robert