Sponsored by:

Nitrous fill station ?s

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ziptie
They ship it to you?
i get 5 mother bottles at a time,and i have to drive to the state line to get it.
Old 10-18-2006, 07:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Me and several buddies are looking at going in together on a fill station. He called one of the places nearby and was quoted $300 for a 60lb bottle, which is 5/lb You can get it for 3.50-3.75 from a speed shop!

I have to check some other places, but what is the norm on buying it in bulk? And what size would be considered bulk?
They said 300 because 150 is to lease the bottle. It should only be 150-125 for the mother bottle. Some places charge the 150 a year to lease the bottle. Some are less
Old 10-18-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Junkie

we have been lookin into gettin a station here, but the problem is the same yall have, can't get the big bottles. even the speed shops have a very difficult time keepin bottles if they can get any at all
Old 10-19-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We haven't had any luck with the nx pump it broke within 3 months sent it back under warentee but they charged us to fix it. then we connected it and it made funny noises from the jump filled 3 bottles and broke again. We have been using a deep freezer and filling them. only takes 20 minutes to freeze them if there half full they take almost all of it put em back in the freezer for 10 minutes then fill again. I have not been happy with the expensive nx unit or there customer service!
Old 11-02-2006, 06:06 AM
On The Tree

It cost me about 2.50$ lb here in s.w. fl. Worth it though, dont have to drive all the way to the speed shop just so they can freeze the bottle and fill it. I let the bottle stay in the frezeer overnight and it immediately fills. It's pretty easy to overfill the bottle if your not careful. Never tried the pumps.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by nate-roth
It cost me about 2.50$ lb here in s.w. fl. Worth it though, dont have to drive all the way to the speed shop just so they can freeze the bottle and fill it. I let the bottle stay in the frezeer overnight and it immediately fills. It's pretty easy to overfill the bottle if your not careful. Never tried the pumps.

IM looking into getting a station as well, How do you overfill a bottle?. I thought once it doesnt have room to fill anymore the nitrous flow will just stop or will it start to blow seals?.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:45 PM
TECH Resident

let me give you guys some expensive advise for free.
the best place to gey nitrous is a company called AIRGAS they are the biggest compressed gas company in the world and their in every state.
you will have to setup an account with them and they will deliver but not to your home only to a buisness or a storage facility(mini storage etc.). they will send a sales rep to meet with you unless you walk into a store front and setup an account and charge you about $4-5 a month to rent the tank plus the cost of the gas. if you dont setup an account they will charge you $150-$190 for deposit plus the cost of gas.
if they send a sales rep to meet you he will initially give you a high price probably $140-175 but tell him you plan on purchasing at least 12 to 20 tanks a season and need to pay no more than $120 (or less(nitrous has a huge profit margin for them)) and the price will come down.
also make sure you ask for mother tanks with siphon tubes unless you like flipping 185lb cylinder on their heads but you usually get a couple more lbs out of mother tanks that you have to flip upside down.

now as far as pump stations go i have never tried the NX pump so i cant comment but of the small pumps that i have used the only one i would recommend for regular use is the NOS/holley nitrous pump its a bit of a dinosaur but its strong and you will need an air compressor to run it. not a big compressor but one big enough to run your usual pnuematic garage tools (impact wrench air hammer etc) something you would get at home depot.
OR
somehow get an old commercial refrigerator (restaurant) or a chest freezer the ones that dont have a refrigerated compartment they only freeze and drill a hole through so you can run a braided line from the mother tank to the tank inside the freezer and fill a tank that way. the freezer doesnt need to get below freezing as long as its in the low 40's and under it will fill a 10lb tank in approx. 45minutes or less as long as the freezer was at a cold temperature. with this method you can fill several tanks at once as long as you have enough mother tanks and braided line.
i prefer this method over the fill station and it will probably cost less than having to buy a pump station and compressor (air line, air dryer etc) aslong as you can buy the freezer at a used appliance store or swap meet because its quieter than having an air compressor and pump station buzzing away in your garage and if you over fill your tank you still have a saftey margin because the tank is still cold so you have a longer oportunity to purge the extra gas out of a cold tank that just came out of a freezer than a hot tank that just came off the pump and also i used to fill a lot of tanks at once and with the freezer i could fill upto 6 at a time and spend less time in a hot garage sweety garage in humid michigan summers.

if you guys have any more questions let me know i would be more than happy to help.

Last edited by 1999 SS; 11-02-2006 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MEAN LT1
IM looking into getting a station as well, How do you overfill a bottle?. I thought once it doesnt have room to fill anymore the nitrous flow will just stop or will it start to blow seals?.
when you fill a nitrous bottle it actually expands and as you use the gas inside it will contract. so when you fill a bottle its possible to expand it enough to put more liquid nitrous in it than should be in their safley but as long as the psi inside doesnt reach the amount on the burst disc (usually 3000 to 3300psi) its possible to over fill a tank.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

i just spoke with a guy today who read this post and has an appointment with a sales rep. monday afternoon to set up an account.
Old 11-06-2006, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Awesome, some friends and I are goin give em a call.
Old 11-07-2006, 09:28 AM
TECH Resident

its alot easier than most people think.
Old 11-07-2006, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmmmm good idea, never thought of that....could make a quick buck with the station on friday nights!
Old 11-10-2006, 12:08 PM
12 Second Club

I've got an older Nx pump, and it works great. It eats a lot of air. I have to stop several times during a fill & let my 5hp craftsman compressor catch up. But it gets it done eventually.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:33 PM
On The Tree

By overfilling I mean that it's easy to take a bottle out of the freezer after it's been there overnight, hook it up to the mother tank and put 13lbs. into a bottle meant for 10lbs. Then you have too much pressure - 1500-1600 psi at ambient. I usually put 11lbs. in the bottle run it down to 5-6lbs. and refill it. Between my buddy and me we have six bottles so, we alaways have at least three full and one in the freezer. Good info. for people on Airgas.
Old 12-16-2006, 12:48 AM
TECH Resident

i just wanted to bring this back for some of you guys. read post #27.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:00 AM
TECH Addict

Good timing SS, I am about to get a station for myself
Gonna go with the NX Station
Old 12-16-2006, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Im a HVAC guy for local 602 of washington dc. We use recovery machines (oilless ones) and actully the same scale that is in the NX package.. i think its "CPS". Im thinking i can make it work where i can recover from the mother tank and get it into the little bottle. I know its designed for Refrigerent but i would wonder if it would work?
Old 12-18-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

87monte you should try it sounds plausable.
juicedimpss, come to toronto its only $80 for a 10 lbs fill. did I forget to mention a 10 lbs minimum too boot.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:09 PM
7 Second Club / STF Veteran

i have the nx station and a nos station and the nx is leaps and bounds better. around here it is $50 per year per bottle for the lease and 175 a mother tank and of course it varies how much you get out of the mother tank. and i always put 9 to 9.5lbs in a bottle putting 10 or more lbs in leaves no room for the gas to expand. so you put in 11lbs then your pressure is at 1100 then the first time you purge or the second the kit hits pressure drops to 800psi so it's esier to maintain a stable pressure with only 9 to 9.5 lbs in the bottle then top it off after every pass since you have a filling station. especially when i use 4.5lbs a pass.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Contacted the local place Maine Oxy, they were pretty useless. Maine Oxy wanted me to buy a 75 pound bottle ($250), told me it would take a week turnaround and my cost would be $6.50 a pound...

Called Airgas, and waiting to hear back, very pleasant, and despite being 100.1 miles from my house (and in another State) they said they service my area. Hope it pans out.

Thanks for the tip 1999 SS.

Quick Reply: Nitrous fill station ?s