Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running rich with Nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 03:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running rich with Nitrous?

Hey guys, quick question....are you suppose to run rich when you use Nitrous? because my car has NOS and im running rich....I was gonna get the car tuned to run leaner, becasue im getting really bad gas mileage, im running so rich i blow smoke out when it sits at stoplights and it smeels like gas....so my question is, are you suppose to run rich with nitrous? whats a good AFM with Nitrous?
Old 06-28-2006, 03:27 AM
Restricted User

Target AFR NA should be 13.1:1 and on the bottle depends on the shot size, but 150 I go with 11.7-12.2:1 or so. Visible smoking is normally associated with around a 9.2:1 or richer...too rich and you can wash the cylinders.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

If you are running rich during normal driving there is something wrong with the car. The oxygen sensors are supposed to make on the fly corrections (fuel trimming) in order to keep the AFR at 14.7. As long as the oxygen sensors are working right they should be keeping the AFr at 14.7 during normal driving. The computer does not deviate from trying to stay at 14.7 until you floor it and it goes into power enrichment and adds more fuel. So unless you drive with your foot on the floor the entire time, I would give the car a full tune up and maybe replace the oxygen sensors.

You do not need a tune for the small amount of mods you have, but a WOT tune is great for WOT to get it richer when you are spraying. Mid 11's is good for a 150 shot.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

well i do have a bad cat....mayb a bad 02 sensor too....im gonna fix that and then get a tune
Old 06-28-2006, 05:32 PM
Staging Lane

also what would i need to do for a full tuneup?...it has new plugs and wires

Quick Reply: Running rich with Nitrous?