Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

long question about nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default long question about nitrous

Ive been thinking about nitrous the last 5 days,if Ishould go for it or just do a cam.Been leaning towards nitruos though but had a few questions so here it goes.The reasons I want nitrous is just for the extra passing power on the freeway or just to have passing power if Ithink someone is faster,but anyways I previously asked what is the lowest rpm to run nitrous and most said atleast3000 rpm(so did my speed shop),although some said 2000 was safe and some whent as low as1600 rpm.Now lets say I do it at 3000rpm does the peddle have to be mashed to the floor(w.o.t) for it to work or just as long as its at 3000rpm.last Now If I do get n2o I will set the window switch to start at 3000rpm(most seem to agree this is the safest)and Iwas thinking of having it shut off at 4500 rpm because just looking for a little on the streets not the 1/4 mile and if I do take to the track can alwas swap the pill to shut off at 6000rpm,and like Isaid mainly just want a short boost or a little extra for passing.last question can a a4 tranny handle a100 shot (or alittle more) with ff mods lid, loudmouth,lt hedders 3500 stall?
thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer these questions.
john
Old 07-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Staging Lane

Start spraying at 2800 cut off at around 5600-5800. If you shut off the spray at 4500 your car will just plain fall on its face. The a4 you have will handle the power just fine sounds like a solid 11.90 setup depending on where you live, temp, and DA. As far as your cam question the nitrous will gain you more upfront but depending on your cam selection you will gain more than 100hp on the 100 hit so there is definately something to be said for looking into doing both.
Old 07-15-2006, 03:56 PM
FormerVendor

You'll want to be at WOT when spraying, so with a window switch two things will have to happen. The system will have to be armed, vehicle has to be going WOT and you have to be between your RPM window switch settings. You can have the window switch turn the nitrous off when ever you want, but with that being said if you have it turn off at a low rpm and do not shift more then likely the car will fall on it's face if you keep it at WOT. The tranny should be ok as long as you don't spray through the shifts.

Matt
Old 07-15-2006, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

yeah man, spraying for only 1500 rpm isnt going to get you much of anywhere. and yes, you do have to have the car at WOT to use nitrous. there should be a WOT switch with the kit you buy and the nitrous will only work once WOT has been engaged. just start with a small shot and change the jets as you see fit(for the track). and you can always get a cam later with a few supporting mods to make your car scream.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

what do you mean spraying through the shifts(do you mean by shifting manually with an a4)? I normally just put in drive and go
Old 07-15-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

ok so I have to have it at w.o.tfor it to come on,but lets say
i see a cop (not that I street race or or condone such behavior) and Itake my foot of the gas before 5000rpm (where my window switch would be set to turn off) would the wide open switch turn the system off and is this safe for my car?Some of you mentioned that by having it shut off (window switch) at 4000rpm my car would fall on its face what do you mean to be exact ? does it mean that my car will car will just slow down and will get passed by or is it bad for my car to have it shut off at such a low rpm?Could I just take my foot off the gas if I have it set to shut off at 5500 if I wanted it to shut off earlier?
Sorry for all the (stupid) questions and thanks for everyone that helped and is still helping.
john
Old 07-15-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by john5632
ok so I have to have it at w.o.tfor it to come on,but lets say
i see a cop (not that I street race or or condone such behavior) and Itake my foot of the gas before 5000rpm (where my window switch would be set to turn off) would the wide open switch turn the system off and is this safe for my car?Some of you mentioned that by having it shut off (window switch) at 4000rpm my car would fall on its face what do you mean to be exact ? does it mean that my car will car will just slow down and will get passed by or is it bad for my car to have it shut off at such a low rpm?Could I just take my foot off the gas if I have it set to shut off at 5500 if I wanted it to shut off earlier?
Sorry for all the (stupid) questions and thanks for everyone that helped and is still helping.
john
Any time you lift and are not at wide open throttle (WOT) the nitrous shuts off. No harm to the car. By falling on it's face they mean the rate of acceleration will decrease to the rate of acceleration you have without nitrous. Not bad for the car but you are not getting the full benefit of having nitrous.

To take care of the tranny you set the window switch to shut the nitrous off before it shifts. Leaving it in drive is fine. For example if in drive it shifts at 6,400 rpm you might want to set the window switch at 6,200 or a little lower. That way the transmission does not have to handle all the extra torque made by the nitrous. Thus your transmission will last much longer.

The only stupid question is the one you do not ask.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

thanks everone one for helping and not making me feel dumb for asking so many Questions Ive just reached a point where Im ready to make somr REAL power and want to make sure that n2o is for me.I dont know much about n2o(obviously),but what I do know is that $ per $ youcant beat the the power level of n2o.Leaves alot left over to do other mods(like afully bult tranny to up n20 shot).Alright one more
question and some of you may have read this already.What do think about spraying below 3000rpm like 2800 rpm (or maybe 2500)like ryan z28 said. thanks everone John
Old 07-16-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

What do think about spraying below 3000rpm like 2800 rpm (or maybe 2500)like ryan z28 said. thanks everone John
Like lots of things if you ask different people you get different answers. From everything I have read I would guess about 90% say don't spray below 3,000 to be safe. Yes some say they spray at lower RPMs but they may be lucky or they may have something different in their set up. Who knows? So you can go from there and make your own decision.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Resident

Here's something from someone who has just installed a nitrous kit:

With an automatic, a window switch isn't as important as it is for a manual. As for the low RPM window, there's no use in setting it low. Basically n2o is effective with the throttle wide open and it is just moments before your RPM goes way past 2800, 3000 or even 3500. What I'm saying is set the window switch, if you use one, to like 4000 on the low side and 3 to 5 hundred on the high side from the shift point at open throttle.

I know from the previous post that says spraying for 1500 RPM isn't going to be very effective but with an automatic, that's the range where your RPM stays under power. Personally I won't spray in 1st gear because the tire spin with streets is ridiculous. I already have a hard time while N/A on take off to keep the tires from turning to smoke. With n2o there's no hope for a good launch so I switch it on when it feels like I can go full throttle without wheel spin.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:06 PM
On The Tree

I was at work today and talking to a couple guys about nitrous only being used at w.o.t.One guy says mashed the peddle and make sure its flat on the floor for it to work and the other guy says it does not have to be mashed to the floor for it to work just as long as your at w.o.t.S o who's right? or I guess the real question would be what is the correct deffinition of w.o.t.Might seem like a silly question,but like terry s said the only stupid question you ask is the one you dont ask,and for some reason it's been stuck in my head all at work listening to these guys,so what is any of you guys deffinition.
thanks john
Old 07-17-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOT (wide open throttle) is just that. The throttle is wide open. I don't know what you drive but most cars except late model corvettes use a cable from the gas pedal to the throttle valve (butterfly) If the cable is adjusted right the throttle plate (butterfly) will be wide open, and when you take your foot off the gas pedal the throttle will close.

If you take your air duct off the throttle body and have someone push the gas pedal you will see what I mean. You want the nitrous to spray at or very close to WOT. If the throttle valve does not go wide open first make sure there is nothing under the gas pedal like a floor mat etc. If that checks out you probably need to adjust the cable.

Late model corvettes and some other cars have no cable. The throttle valve is driven by an electric motor through the computer. On these cars a WOT switch placed on the gas pedal will think the throttle is wide open but it infact may not be. The computer may have it at less than WOT due to traction control. A TPS (throttle position switch reads the voltage at the throttle plate motor and knows the position of the throttle plate.)

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

hey terry thanks for chiming in man Ireally appreciate it .So I really dont need the peddle mashed all theway flat on the floor just as long as the throttle blade on the throttle body is open kind of like when you are trying to pass someone.Because thats what I thought wot meant, but anyway I drive a 98 formula with a mti lid, lt hedders,loudmouth and a tci 3500 stall.
thanks again john
Old 07-17-2006, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy a window switch and have it set from 3000 to 5800 and you will really thank yourself later on. have fun.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:08 PM
11 Second Club

hey terry thanks for chiming in man Ireally appreciate it .So I really dont need the peddle mashed all theway flat on the floor just as long as the throttle blade on the throttle body is open kind of like when you are trying to pass someone.Because thats what I thought wot meant, but anyway I drive a 98 formula with a mti lid, lt hedders,loudmouth and a tci 3500 stall.
thanks again john

John:

Your car has to be W.O.T for the system to activate. Heres a link to a WOT switch. In the picture you can see as soon as you hit the gas the cable thats connecting to the TB will pull back to open the throttle. You can see where the "microswitch" (WOT) is. Thats activated when you go Wide Open Throttle allowing your system to start spraying. If it does not touch it will not activate. Hopefully this helps.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...del=92&dept=11
Old 07-17-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BOTTLEFEDLS1Z
John:

Your car has to be W.O.T for the system to activate. Heres a link to a WOT switch. In the picture you can see as soon as you hit the gas the cable thats connecting to the TB will pull back to open the throttle. You can see where the "microswitch" (WOT) is. Thats activated when you go Wide Open Throttle allowing your system to start spraying. If it does not touch it will not activate. Hopefully this helps.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...del=92&dept=11
John: In case you are not sure what the picture does not show is the throttle blade. When your foot is off the gas pedal it will be straight up & down blocking off the air coming into the engine. When you push the gas pedal all the way down the throttle blade should go wide open and be level with the ground. This is when you want the WOT switch to contact and allow the nitrous to work if you are inside the window switch RPM settings as mentioned above.

So unless your cable is not adjusted properly your gas pedal will be all the way down. Take the air intake connector off like I suggested above and you will see what I mean.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:21 AM
On The Tree

hey terry thought the same thing. i posted another thread about getting traction off the line with n20 since the gas pedal has to be all the way down.Read the thread and tell me what you think>
thanks for everyones help john
Old 07-18-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

hey terry thought the same thing. i posted another thread about getting traction off the line with n20 since the gas pedal has to be all the way down.Read the thread and tell me what you think>
thanks for everyones help john
I share your concern. Unless you get sticky tires and or a 2 stage or progressive set up spraying in first gear will probably just go up in tire smoke. Before you get carried away each car is different. Different horsepower, gear ratio, weight, traction etc. What I did is put a micro switch on top of my gear shift. If I am in first gear or anytime I want to kill the nitrous I just push the button to keep from spraying. When I think I have traction I let off the button and it will spray (if at WOT and inside the window switch settings).

If I am not happy with that I may put a progressive controller on but not until I have tried this first. Spraying to launch the car is a great way to break things particularly if you have sticky tires.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:20 PM
12 Second Club

****, i dont know what you guys are talking about not being able to launch while spraying in first gear. This friday we are going to the track and i will have my window switch set to come on at like 3600 or 3800. I have a 3600 stall so that will pretty much be right off the line when it starts spraying. Should make for some quicker 60 fts. My car dead hooks right now anyways so i doubt i will spin. All i am saying is, John, provided you have the suspension setup, stall, and at least drag radials, nitrous can be hugely beneficial for launching and can make for some wicked *** 60 foots
Old 08-13-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have mine set from 3,000-5,800 with a 6,200 RPM rev. limiter. :-D