Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous Relay blowing fuses?? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Nitrous Relay blowing fuses?? HELP

I bought a NX wet kit off of a guy and on the relay it had an inline fuse and the fuse was a 15 amp i blew it so i replaced it with a 20 amp and i blew it too. if i recall aren't the relays 35-40 amp?? (the relay doesn't say what amp it is) so should i put a 35 amp fuse in and if it blows check the wiring for a problem or do you think it was just to low of a fuse that was already in it?
Any suggestions?
Old 08-26-2006, 07:34 PM
11 Second Club

anyone?????
Old 08-27-2006, 05:56 PM
11 Second Club

ttt...............
Old 08-28-2006, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

do you have the fuse that came with the kit? call nx and ask them about that fuse if u dont
Old 08-28-2006, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

Nitro Dave said to put a 40 amp fuse in it and see if it works.
Old 08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
TECH Veteran

You can try a 30 amp fuse. What solinoids are you powering thru the relay? Big ones? Little ones? Two? Four?

relays CAN HANDLE 30-40 amps. That doesnt mean they require that to operate. They need WAY less than 1 amp. You need to first see if the relay is opening and closing normaly? WHen does the fuse blow? When you activate the system at WOT when the relay closes? Or is it whenever you have power to the system and you plug in a fuse?

It may very well be a bad coil on the noid if it only blows when you are at WOT and the relay closes prividing power to the noid. Either that or the power wires is grounded somewhere or its still miswired.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

You need to identify which solenoids you have and call NX and ask what amp fuse to use. My NX kit said to use a 40 amp fuse on the power wire from the battery to the relay. But I do not know if they have different amperage solenoids.

383LQ4SS is right that the relay takes less that 1 amp to activate it. But remember this is on the power wire feeding the arm switch. So a 1 amp fuse on this wire would be fine.

If you blow the recomended fuse size you have a problem. Either with the wiring or with the solenoids. Do not try to solve it by putting in a fuse larger than NX says.

If you want to trouble shoot the solenoids put in a fuse 1/2 the amps that NX calls for and disconnect and tape or other wise insulate the power or ground wire to one of the solenoids.
Then activate the system and see if the fuse blows. If it does either the solenoid is bad or the wiring is bad or wrong. If it does not blow try hooking the wire back up and disconnect one of the wires to the other solenoid and see if that solenoid blows the fuse. MAKE SURE YOU TURN OFF THE NITROUS & PURGE THE NITROUS AND DISCONNECT AND CAP THE FUEL SUPPLY TO THE FUEL SOLENOID BEFORE DOING THIS TEST.

Quick Reply: Nitrous Relay blowing fuses?? HELP