Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrous noid for opener

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 06:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitrous noid for opener

i have an extra nitrous solenoid and was wondering if i could use it as a bottle opener or would the constant pressure mess up the seals
Old 11-07-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've heard the perssure will mess up the seals.. otherwise you could just leave the bottle on.
Old 11-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Banned

The 'noids that are made as bottle openers are different inside and made to be on for extended lengths.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Restricted User

Not so much the seals as it is the ability to sustain operation for the extended periods of time that opener noids use. A normal noids coil will burn up, locking the piston in the open position.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The noids for bottle openers have a little different build. They have a small pluger like set-up that allows n2o pressure to equalize on both sides of main plunger before completely opening. they are also a small amp load style for continuse use.
Robert
Old 11-08-2006, 11:43 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

The NOS solenoid type openers are designed to stay in the open or closed position after momentary powered is applied to that side of the coil.
Normal solenoids are designed to be normally closed and suppling constant power to the coil will hold them open. Applying power for too long will cause the coil to over heat and fail.

Kyle
Old 11-08-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kyle@NOS
The NOS solenoid type openers are designed to stay in the open or closed position after momentary powered is applied to that side of the coil.
Normal solenoids are designed to be normally closed and suppling constant power to the coil will hold them open. Applying power for too long will cause the coil to over heat and fail.

Kyle
True, I forgot to mention the NOS noid, which I have run. Clarafication on the noid type over heating, yes on a regular noid used for b/opener, however, the noids (besides the NOS above) that are designed for bottle openers have such a small amperage use (see the mech descript above for reason a low amperage can be used) that over heating is not an issue, and I have used that style also. Here's a NOS style and a standard style.
Standard

NOS Style

Robert