Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gear lockout

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1st gear lockout

I'm about to buy some more goodies for my nitrous setup and need some opinions/help.

I might have a chance to pick up a barely used timing tuner for about 100 bux which would be a nice safety feature for when I'm spraying and I also just read that it has a built in adjustable window switch which is another goodie I was planning on buying.

The thing is I was planning on buying the TPS/Window switch boxes that a few of our vendors carry which also has 1st gear lockout. As far as the TPS goes, it would be nice to have since it would be a cleaner install but I'm not terribly opposed to using the microswitch that was provided with my kit. I could also pick up a TPS from DynoTune for 70 bux. However it doesnt look like the timing tuner has a 1st gear lock out function which I'm sure I'll need seeing as how 1st gear would be useless with spray.

Whats the easiest/cheapest way to add 1st gear lockout to a setup that uses timing tuner? Would I be better off just buying the TPS/Window switch? Is there a cheap (but reliable) product out there that has 1st gear lock out and TPS? Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get both the Timing Tuner and the TPS/Window switch. Grrrrr I just dont want to waste money on things that I'll already have in another product.

I plan on spraying 100 shot but may up it later on down the road. The car is an m6 02 TA, with lid/filter and catback.

Last edited by dementia; 03-24-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

im also interested
Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Resident

robert56 (sp?) has 1st gear lockout with a WOT switch on his shifter above 1st gear. I'm not quite sure how he has it wired though. I never got the whole timing tuner thing unless you were spraying a huge shot. At a 100 shot you probably won't have to pull any timing and if you do it'll only be a degree or two, hardly enough to cost you any power you would notice. I mean how much could you possible loose from 2 degrees, 5 horsepower maybe...

If you do want to have first gear lockout I would buy the TPS Window Switch and the Timing tuner. In my honest opinion you shouldn't need the timing tuner.

I went up to a 170rwhp on a 99 with stock timing and no knock retard, there are lots of people on here at 150 on stock timing.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the nitrous outlet window switch/gear lockout. Contact one of the guys at Nitrous Outlet and they will get you fixed up. I bought one of them for my car.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1RedZ
Get the nitrous outlet window switch/gear lockout. Contact one of the guys at Nitrous Outlet and they will get you fixed up. I bought one of them for my car.

I agree that this is the best option! However, if you just want to wire up a first gear lockout, you can find instructions in this thread...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...st#post4905649

Good luck!
99 FRC
Old 03-25-2007, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yea thanks guys, I was kind of leaning towards getting the TPS/Window switch over the Timing Tuner, its just that if my friend does still have it then I'd be able to pick it up for over half off the current new price. Even though I'd only be running 100 shot for now who knows what I'll be runnin in the future. I always try to go for mods with upgrade-ability in mind.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:46 PM
12 Second Club

BMN makes a window switch with first gear lockout. I'm actually trying to sell mine now

Quick Reply: 1st gear lockout