Sponsored by:

Buying a car w/juice

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a car w/juice

Hey all,

Im going to look at a 11 sec car tomorrow. 2000 SS with bolt-ons, and full nitrous set up. The owner claims everything was done by a reputable speed shop and that all parts are top of the line. He's spraying a 150 wet shot, and has full exhaust, full intake, and the the rest of the usual bolt-ons. I will be using this car for a daily driver and just had a few questions for everyone. First, what sort of red flags should I be looking for when I drive this car?

Second,with a 6-speed what kind of gas mileage can I expect from a set up like this?

Would the stock bottom end be able to handle this size shot? Also, what starts happening to these motors after a lot of spray? And lastly, I know the rears are notoriously weak on these cars, so would I be asking for trouble with the 150 shot and the Nitto DR's in the back?

Thanks for your help
Old 03-31-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Stock bottom end can handle it if its setup right.

Things to look for...good oil pressure. Be sure to let the car warm up COMPLETELY. Note the cold oil pressure VS the hot oil pressure.

If your serious about buying really a mechanic should do a leak down test on all cylinders to get a hint if there are any issues. Thats about the only way to gauge an engines wear level. That and oil pressure.

You can also take the oil cap off while its idling and see if there is a choo choo train effect. A single puff that indicates blow by of some type.

You could also pull a plug or two to inspect.

Im sure theres more...but thats all I can think of right now.
Old 03-31-2007, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Parrothead497
Hey all,

Im going to look at a 11 sec car tomorrow. 2000 SS with bolt-ons, and full nitrous set up. The owner claims everything was done by a reputable speed shop and that all parts are top of the line. He's spraying a 150 wet shot, and has full exhaust, full intake, and the the rest of the usual bolt-ons. I will be using this car for a daily driver and just had a few questions for everyone. First, what sort of red flags should I be looking for when I drive this car?

Second,with a 6-speed what kind of gas mileage can I expect from a set up like this?

Would the stock bottom end be able to handle this size shot? Also, what starts happening to these motors after a lot of spray? And lastly, I know the rears are notoriously weak on these cars, so would I be asking for trouble with the 150 shot and the Nitto DR's in the back?

Thanks for your help
me personally wouldnt buy a nitrous car in the first place. could have the start of a spun bearing and you'd never know. but thats just me personally. should get good gas mileage since it doesnt have a cam. just dont spray off the line and that rear should last for sometime.
Old 03-31-2007, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

I ran a n20 camaro from 60k to 90k...150 shot for about 15k miles....100+ 1/4 passes

sold it to a friend and he's still driving at 112k....
Old 04-01-2007, 12:46 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya, if everything is done right, it should be good.

ask to see receipts of the work done at his "speed shop" if you dont do work yourself and have a shop do it, you should keep the receipts.

i would check the plugs and do a compression check. if the car was done right, it should be in good shape
Old 04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

did the guy tell you the name of the shop that did the work? does he have receipts? if so, is it a shop anybody has ever heard of? why is he selling it? does the N2O system have a window switch or anything?