Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bottle siphon tube orientation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bottle siphon tube orientation?

Hi, I am new to nitrous (and to this forum). Have a question I am hoping someone could help me with. Hope its not to dumb of a question. Just trying to do my homework to ensure a quality and safe installation.

Brief background: I recently purchased a used (but in nice shape) NOS dry kit. The date stamp on the bottle was 6 years old so I brought the bottle to a welding supply company that does bottle testing (I was referred by a local speed shop that does nitrous refills). This company pressure tested and re-certified (date stamped) the bottle no problem.

I have been doing quite a lot of reading to prepare for the system installation. One of the things I've read is that bottle orientation during installation is important to ensure that the siphon tube inside the bottle is correctly oriented. My plan is to install the bottle in a standard position lying on its side on an angle in the brackets that came with the kit. According to the NOS instructions when the bottle is installed in this position you orient the bottle with the label up to ensure that the syphon is properly oriented inside the bottle. This is where my concern/question comes in...

As mentioned at the top of this post I had the bottle tested and recertified. My understanding is that when the bottle is pressure tested they remove the valve from the top of the bottle to do the test and then re-install it. I assume the siphon tube is directly attached to the valve assembly. I also assume the valve assembly is threaded onto the bottle. The question is how would I know if after testing the bottle this company didn't screw the valve assembly back on to the bottle slightly more or slightly less than NOS did at the factory which would in turn change the orientation of the siphon tube inside the bottle?

Thanks and sorry for the long winded post!
-Matt
Old 04-12-2007, 09:22 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the siphon tube is directly attached to the valve, so its position shouldnt have moved.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:25 AM

Cypher, thanks for the quick reply. My understanding was that the siphon tube is attached at an angle to the valve so that it "hangs" down close to the bottom of the bottle. If it is (which is what NOS shows in their diagrams) then I assume if you turn the valve you change the orientaion of the tube. In other words, 1/2 turn of the valve would spin the siphon tube so it was pointing up vs. down?
Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, the siphion tube may not be in the same place in relationship to the sticker. Depending on weither the valve is in the same place in the bottle as before... but the shiphon tube is fixed to the valve to so matter how tight or loose the valve is it reamins in the same spot. the siphon tube faces the same way as the bottle nut/nitrous line
Old 04-12-2007, 09:39 AM

So just to make sure I understand you correctly I just need to make sure that when I lay the bottle on its side in the brackets the nitrous feed line should run out of the valve straight down towards the floor - this will ensure the siphon tube is also running on a downward angle to the bottom of the bottle. Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks very much!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

here is a pic...

Quick Reply: Bottle siphon tube orientation?