Sponsored by:

FPSS wiring without a relay

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 02:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FPSS wiring without a relay

Tried searching, but I couldn't find a clear answer

I'm doing a push button style setup (yes with all the safety devices!), but I'm a little puzzled on how to wire up a FPSS. I made a diagram showing my wiring from the WOT switch to the solenoid (I didn't include purge, window switch, etc in these diagrams, so to avoid headaches trying to figure out what I did). The wire coming from the WOT switch is the hot lead in my setup

This is what I currently have

Do I connect the FPSS to the negative, like this?

Or do I connect the FPSS to the hot/positive, like this?

Or do I have both wrong? If so, what's the correct way to do this without a relay?
Old 08-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

there is no correct way to do it without a relay....the solenoid pul to many amps for the switch to support...that is why you use a relay, so the solenoid pulls its power from the battery and not through the switch. Also the FPSS is not designed to carry the amp load of the solenoid either, that is why it is used on the ground to the relay.

What is your reason on not wanting a relay???
Old 08-10-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the last nitrous kit (few years ago) I had gave me a million headaches with the relay. It didn't come with clear instructions, and I could never find a good diagram on how to wire it up. Ever since then, relay wiring has scared me, since that setup was such a disaster

Can you still retain a manual push button setup with a relay? I'm going to have the other safety devices, but I still would like to have a manual on/off as sort of a first line of safety
Old 08-10-2007, 01:56 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

just replace the WOT microswitch w/your push button

look at the relay as a switch...when it sees power (86) and ground (85) it closes the circuit between pin 30 and pin 87. This allows the item you have connected to pin 87 to pull its power directly from the battery.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

That looks a lot better than the diagrams I was finding years back, thanks!

If using that diagram, where would the FPSS wire to? Between the ground and relay 85? Or between the solenoid's ground wire, and the ground? (like picture #2 on my original post)

Also, is a 30 amp relay big enough? That's the only one I have right now. If not I can get a bigger one from work

Last edited by Strahley; 08-10-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Put the FPSS betwen 85 and ground.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 PM
Ray@Nitrous Outlet

the size of the relay will depend on the amp draw of the solenoids you are using...

and the above post is correct the FPSS will go off pin 85

Quick Reply: FPSS wiring without a relay