Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for any NANO gurus

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for any NANO gurus

If you can fill the bottle with HPA, what's to stop you from making the bottle oxygen clean and filling it with 40% nitrox? More oxygen percentage than that and I can easily see the problems, but only 40% shouldn't be any problem at all. Obviously you would have to mak an adapter to be able to fill it, but other than that?
Old 02-23-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
If you can fill the bottle with HPA, what's to stop you from making the bottle oxygen clean and filling it with 40% nitrox? More oxygen percentage than that and I can easily see the problems, but only 40% shouldn't be any problem at all. Obviously you would have to mak an adapter to be able to fill it, but other than that?
Not a good idea unless you have probably 10s of thousands $$ available and several motors and wideband 02s and free unlimited dyno and 8 EGT setup to figure out it likley wont work.

And filling the NANO bottle wont help anyways...thjat is until th4e nitrous was empty...then you would get whatever misxture you put in thr NANO bottle to go into the nitrous bottle and eventually wind up in the motor.

So your experiment would be better with a nitrous bottle hooked up as usual...but instead of nitrous use compressed air and whatever other additive (02 or whatever)

Actually compressed ait and an exact amount of 02 may work...or 02 and nitrogen. But you would have to exactly control the ratios or your tune will be off.

Thats one of the reasons for N20. Its composition is fixed. Second thing about N20 is it doesnt break down and make those 02 molecules available until compression.

Try it!
Old 02-23-2008, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 383LQ4SS
Not a good idea unless you have probably 10s of thousands $$ available and several motors and wideband 02s and free unlimited dyno and 8 EGT setup to figure out it likley wont work.

And filling the NANO bottle wont help anyways...thjat is until th4e nitrous was empty...then you would get whatever misxture you put in thr NANO bottle to go into the nitrous bottle and eventually wind up in the motor.

So your experiment would be better with a nitrous bottle hooked up as usual...but instead of nitrous use compressed air and whatever other additive (02 or whatever)

Actually compressed ait and an exact amount of 02 may work...or 02 and nitrogen. But you would have to exactly control the ratios or your tune will be off.

Thats one of the reasons for N20. Its composition is fixed. Second thing about N20 is it doesnt break down and make those 02 molecules available until compression.

Try it!
The only reason I'd do it is to keep the engine from bogging too much when the nitrous oxide ran out.

As a master diver, and a certified gas blender, I only go for the exact mixture of nitrogen and oxygen I asked for in my Nitrox tanks. Yes, the oxygen in nitrox can be checked and controlled, and the main thing I would be concerned with is the fact that it would deteriorate o-rings and seals quicker. It's a lot harsher on components. However, if you mixed the oxygen percentage just a little lower than the same amount in nitrous oxide, then you'd get just a slightly lower hit, so you'd know you were out of nitrous oxide, but wouldn't completely kill your et. Or, once you run your bottle out, you can still play at the track, filling your nano bottle from a scuba tank if you had an adapter. Over 40% O2 is where you really have to start seriously treating oxygen with care. Under 40%, you can basically treat it normally. If doing the blending myself and not with a membrane system, 100% I don't go above 1500psi...so that would be 33% at 4500psi. Let your tank sit over night, then you're good to go and it's thoroughly mixed and consistent. Check it with your analyzer and fill your nano.

I know that there have been various things stated as to why scuba tanks wouldn't work for added power, but I think that with this type of setup, it might actually work to get you through a day. You'd definitely have to check your bottle valves more often and replace any o-rings more often, and rebuild your nitrous solenoid more often.
Old 02-23-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
The only reason I'd do it is to keep the engine from bogging too much when the nitrous oxide ran out.

As a master diver, and a certified gas blender, I only go for the exact mixture of nitrogen and oxygen I asked for in my Nitrox tanks. Yes, the oxygen in nitrox can be checked and controlled, and the main thing I would be concerned with is the fact that it would deteriorate o-rings and seals quicker. It's a lot harsher on components. However, if you mixed the oxygen percentage just a little lower than the same amount in nitrous oxide, then you'd get just a slightly lower hit, so you'd know you were out of nitrous oxide, but wouldn't completely kill your et. Or, once you run your bottle out, you can still play at the track, filling your nano bottle from a scuba tank if you had an adapter. Over 40% O2 is where you really have to start seriously treating oxygen with care. Under 40%, you can basically treat it normally. If doing the blending myself and not with a membrane system, 100% I don't go above 1500psi...so that would be 33% at 4500psi. Let your tank sit over night, then you're good to go and it's thoroughly mixed and consistent. Check it with your analyzer and fill your nano.

I know that there have been various things stated as to why scuba tanks wouldn't work for added power, but I think that with this type of setup, it might actually work to get you through a day. You'd definitely have to check your bottle valves more often and replace any o-rings more often, and rebuild your nitrous solenoid more often.
your last paragraph answers y no one would want to do this,...to harsh... noid sticks....engine go boom. not worth the risk
Old 02-23-2008, 11:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by gold98Z28
your last paragraph answers y no one would want to do this,...to harsh... noid sticks....engine go boom. not worth the risk
I'd say you'd only need to rebuild your solenoid in half the time that you'd normally need to rebuild your solenoid. And that would be a lot more often than needed. If you're a regular racer, I would think that you'd be doing regular maintenance anyway and long before it got stuck open...and if you're actually doing only 30% oxygen, then you should notice the lighter hit and the fact that you're richer on the last run, then your et isn't completely screwed and you go fill up your bottle again.

I know I'm thinking about this a lot more than it's worth, but call it curiosity.