Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When nitrous goes wrong, Kabooom!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 07:12 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigblock4-speed
I dont feel bad- its there stupidity.. a 305rwhp car(basically stock) and trying to add a ton of nitrous to it 100-200 shot? ya- thats stupid..

So...let me get this straight, I run a 150 shot on my basically stock car, that makes me stupid?

also if you will NEVER run nitrous, why are you looking in the Nitrous section..

Please dont call people stupid for using the starter nitrous hits, call them stupid for improperly setting up their kit and slap the shop around for not informing him to bring the revs up before layin down the pedal
Old 09-23-2008, 07:16 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by blwn_00gt
so if yours was to blow with a 100 shot are you stupid? ive seen plenty of ls1/ls6 intakes do the same thing..

Mine hasn't blown yet so I am temporarily not stupid I guess
Old 09-23-2008, 07:18 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by blwn_00gt
the ford modular intakes dont really flow that well and it cause the fuel to puddle up in the intake and BOOM there you go..
Thank you for answering my question... So it's kinda like pre-ignition firing in the intake I guess or something... Ford's are prone to this, interesting.... So the intake must get really hot, nitrous builds up in the intake at low rpm and it blows...Is that right? Bare with me people as I am learning on the fly with these GM and Ford motors..

Also, I wonder what would have happened if that hood was closed on that Ford and that explosion happen...Would it blow the hood right off? Either way that would suck...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 09-23-2008 at 07:25 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SuperSlow02
So...let me get this straight, I run a 150 shot on my basically stock car, that makes me stupid?

also if you will NEVER run nitrous, why are you looking in the Nitrous section..

Please dont call people stupid for using the starter nitrous hits, call them stupid for improperly setting up their kit and slap the shop around for not informing him to bring the revs up before layin down the pedal
lol... yup- your funny..
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
I spray at idle everytime for the last six years..Sometimes in second gear too... Idle is at1500rpms in my car and I have never had a problem.. Just lit it up right from the start, power and tires spinning..... 100 shot though, tuned to run a little rich with cool running spark plugs... No problems at all to report....

I don't see why low rpm nitrous activation would be a problem? Maybe someone can enlighten me on this?
Must be that indestructable Toy-yoter motor you have. Spraying too low (generally considered to be below 2500 RPM) will likely result in a backfire... a backfire with consequences.

Edit: when I sprayed, I had my window switch kick on at 3k RPM.

Last edited by TWS; 09-23-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:19 PM
10 Second Club

that vid is like 3-4yrs old.
it was done as a local shop here in dfw (spdtek).
it was simple, toooo much WAAAY to soon.
still funny tho..lol
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by TWS
Must be that indestructable Toy-yoter motor you have. Spraying too low (generally considered to be below 2500 RPM) will likely result in a backfire... a backfire with consequences.

Edit: when I sprayed, I had my window switch kick on at 3k RPM.

Yeah, The Lexus V8 1uz-fe motor must have a different intake and flow design, because everyone I have known over the years with the same motor running nitrous has not blown their intake and I'm sure they also shoot from idle too with their automatic trannies.....

I have never been warned about the dangers of low rpm nitrous use... Unbelievable.. I will still shoot the nos from idle with this motor, i've been doing it for years and don't see a problem... This LS2 of mine, I guess I will have to change up things... Darn that sucks!!!

Interesting to know... Thanks..
Old 09-23-2008, 09:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jibby the lower you spray the more torque you make which in turn puts a lot more stress on the pistons, rods, bearings ect..... which will lead to quicker failure over time.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Thank you for answering my question... So it's kinda like pre-ignition firing in the intake I guess or something... Ford's are prone to this, interesting.... So the intake must get really hot, nitrous builds up in the intake at low rpm and it blows...Is that right? Bare with me people as I am learning on the fly with these GM and Ford motors..

Also, I wonder what would have happened if that hood was closed on that Ford and that explosion happen...Would it blow the hood right off? Either way that would suck...
yelp you got it..

the 2v gt's are really more prone to this than the 4v's are..
Old 09-24-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Addict

i had a cobra just like that....oh well haha
Old 09-24-2008, 10:55 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by red fury
Jibby the lower you spray the more torque you make which in turn puts a lot more stress on the pistons, rods, bearings ect..... which will lead to quicker failure over time.

In the Toyota performance world nitrous is typically run at lower rpms... You will find this to be the case in the Supra TT 3jz-gte run dragsters.. Where as these 6 cylinder motors just don't have alot of bottom end power and torque especially when fitted with large turbo's.. So many run nitrous just to get the 2jz run car out of the blocks and until turbo's spool...

Yes, it makes clear sense that when a motor is introduced to nitrous at low rpms it would create alot of stress on the motors internals...