Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

98 Firebird roller

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should be able to start it up this weekend. Trans, drive and clutch bleed. All the gauges are working. I need to finish the fuel tank parameters for the segment swap. Last little bits are the evap and a rubber boot to cover the shifter hole.
Old 07-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mcdonald77
Should be able to start it up this weekend.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

A couple pics too. It's throwing a Cam sensor high code so I need to figure that out. When I was putting it together I used the truck cam sensor and it might be different then the LS1 sensor.

Name:  4221A991-5B11-4059-90CA-131180D832B1_zpsrfc5xkcb.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  25104B93-9B62-4702-B395-09596F0AD772_zps518y8pnw.jpg
Views: 926
Size:  2.77 MB
Old 07-15-2017, 02:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Couple things im working on,

A few quick details

I picked up a 98 firebird ls1/m6 roller. I purchased a 98 harness for the M6 and performed a 99+ ecu pin swap.

I started the car for the 1st time the other day. It started up and would idle erratically and die. After a few starts I got a P0343 code. I was able to pull it out of the garage and before I could drive it back in it stalled. After repeated attempts to start it, the motor would turn over and after letting off the key would make a thud sound, kind of like it was trying to fire out of sequence. It did eventually start up and I pulled it up my drive way. For fear of loosing a rod through the block, I have not attempted to start it again.

In the mean time I replaced the cam sensor and tested those wires to the ecu for continuity. All wires tested good and showed a value of .003. I double checked all wires at the ecu to ensure the pins were swapped correctly and double checked my grounds.

I did order a fuel rail mounted pressure gauge before I go any further.

The motor is an lq9 with l92 heads and ls3 intake and injectors. The motor was running great when pulled from my other vehicle back in December. I also pulled the valley cover. The cam is centered and the cam gear is not loose.

I wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same issues or had advice. I did read a lot of threads related to cam issues but it seems everyone asks but will not post if they successfully fixed the issue.

today I posted this:

I got a hold of a fuel rail pressure tester. I have 55psi strong. I cranked it up and she started strong. After going in to open loop the fuel trims all shot to 20%+ but my o2's are sitting near open air at the end of the collectors currently. The P0343 was gone but now I have P0342. I am going to get the exhaust ran before I keep trouble shooting.

I wonder of the codes could be software related? I did a fuel segment swap from a van but also did the engine and trans segment swap from another 02 fbody that showed ls1/ m6. Maybe I need to swap the engine OS back to the original. Any ideas?

I found this thread below so I may swap the wires and see if that fixes my issue. I have a 98 harness and got rid of the test port connectors.

Originally Posted by UR50SLO
We did a swap from a 99 WS6 T/A and 6spd into a 66 GTO Convertable. Had this exact same problem like cdk4219 had stated. Sometimes starts right up... other times would pop out exhaust with extended crank time. Could not figure it out... Did a pinout at ecm.. all good... 2 different sensors.. Nothing seemed to change it... stayed that way for the last 4yrs.
Just finished a 98 LS1 down into a 69 Camaro... Same issue!!!! GRRRRRRR...
Had the same guys weed the harness.
CDK4219's post here key'd me into that plug... It was nowhere to be found on the weeded harness. So I called the guy who did the harness and inside that blank plug it FLIPS the Cam signal. IF that plug is gone or the wires are weeded out you have to swap the A and C Pins.
With out doing that A-C pin swap it will not start correctly.
So We had the guy with the 66 GTO come over and swapped the pins while he waited and it fired up 10x's in a row.... So THANK YOU For this thread!
~Scott
Old 07-15-2017, 07:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cam sensor issue fixed. When I installed the engine harness the cam sensor connector was not completely the same as the 99+. I used my cam sensor that was already in my engine and it was from an 04 silverado. I had swapped out the connectors and didn't realize the 98 connector had A and C switched because 98 fbody's had a jumper connector on the cam wires where it crossed.

Dammit, problems going away!
Old 08-05-2017, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I ordered speed engineering 3" duels over the rear axles. Great price with pan hard bar relocation kit. Kit is very nice, not too thin. Will be installed Monday and I should be able to drive it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

On the way to the exhaust shop this morning.

Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was able to drive her back from the exhaust shop but my tune definitely needs work. I had to unplug the maf to keep the trims from maxing out. After the maf was failed she stayed under 10% on the LTFT's. Also base running airflow. Most time I came to a stop she stalled out. It was still a pleasure to drive and was night and day compared to the Jimmy.

Used the speed engineering kit with stainless works headers. I picked up the headers used for a decent price. As of right now no problems at all with clearance but I will use BMR or Strano springs later.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is the car performing ? What kind of power is it putting down ?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Updates
Old 01-01-2018, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wildta
Updates

nothing yet, just moved to a house with a decent shop. The kmember has a bent locator pin which is messing with exhaust and drive shaft. Once I get my shop set up ill fix that and start messing with it.

It currently pulls very hard 3k and up
Old 10-23-2018, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, I got the k-member centered up and its straight. I installed a new steering rack. I haven't been able to work on this much this year. I am growing tired of projects. Id like to sell it with all the extra parts I have. Figure ill empty my garage and get a finished car later. as far as extra parts I have extra fenders, doors and most of the ebony interior panels.

If someone is interested, send me a pm. The trans was recently rebuilt and the motor has less then 50k on it.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had someone go on a test drive a while back. He kept asking why I haven't finished the small bits. Kind of motivated me again. The front suspension has all new bushings and ball joints. I need some rear lower control arms and she gets an alignment.

Been working on my tune. The VE is close.

Quick Reply: 98 Firebird roller