Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Plastic infront of radiator?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic infront of radiator?

Just wondering if anyone has removed that piece of plastic that is in front of the radiator? It seems like the car would move more air (run cooler) without that. Especially for open road racing. But does it serve some function that is not obvious? Like it makes the air dam work better.....
Old 11-13-2004, 01:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Just wondering if anyone has removed that piece of plastic that is in front of the radiator? It seems like the car would move more air (run cooler) without that. Especially for open road racing. But does it serve some function that is not obvious? Like it makes the air dam work better.....
could be there to help direct air flow to through the radiator. *shrug*
Old 11-13-2004, 02:05 PM

That's exactly what it does. Don't jack with airflow unless you know exactly what you're doing. With the older cars that had a direct grille to the front, that would make some sense. Some of the free mods that people do are absolute crap.
Old 11-13-2004, 04:04 PM
10 Second Club

Yeah, I'm wondering if that would actually reduce the ram affect by letting air out instead of forcing it thru the radiator. Looking at it from all angles it also appears it's designed to keep heat from the radiator away from the air intake. Not that it should affect my BGRA setup, as long as I had the seal installed.

But I'm looking at this for open road racing. Figuring I could cut out the area behind the lic plate cover to let more air in. And with 2 tranny coolers in front of the AC condensor, I will need air. Bill, Boyce, Ellis?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For now just leave it alone. I am going to be conveting to a full front breather once I get a couple things sorted out.

Until your ready to do that, I wouldnt mess with anything
Old 11-13-2004, 07:39 PM
TECH Addict

I guess that I also wouldn't mess with it until I was ready to make wholesale front end changes. Typically getting air in is not the problem. Getting air out is. Fender/hood heat extractor vents tend to make a much larger differnance than anything you're going to do to the front. I don't really know the purpose of that plastic piece you're talking about so can't comment. Are you mainly looking for more room for your coolers ? Room is one reason why I went with the LG rad with it's integral oil cooler. There's not much room up front for things, which is what also got me to thinking about a rear mounted diff cooler. LG was also talking about building some versions of the Supercool rad with an integral A4 AND engine oil cooler. Might be a worthwhile consideration ??
Old 11-14-2004, 01:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn I KNOW I posted to this??

Leaving it is the way to go. Even if you convert it to a front feeder like the New Vette or Boyce you still need it to get the air to go Through the radiator and not Around it
Old 11-14-2004, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

I am planning on a sealed tunnel around the radiator. This should eliminate the need for just about any of the factory air directional stuff.

I, however did run without some of the plastic for quite a while. I saw no ill effects. But prior to the pe130 everything was back in place for the exact reason Ellis mentioned.
Old 11-14-2004, 10:54 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks guys! The consensus seems to be find another way. Some guy named Louis just told me that piece is actually the fan shroud for our bottom breathers. Don't know if I should believe him....like he knows anything.

Funny you should mention heat extractors Bill. I was out there staring at the car thinking the best solution might be that Meecham (sp?) hood. Guess I'll just hang my tranny cooler & figure out what radiator to put in it now....

Quick Reply: Plastic infront of radiator?