Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

busted knuckles

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:48 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default busted knuckles

Did some wrenching on the burb this weekend (gotta get it up and running before I can mod the GTO you know). Pulled the factory intake manifold off, and will be replacing it with the Holley that I have sitting on my workbench. After looking inside that intake, I have decided to add a PCV catch can to my setup, and am very happy with my choice to forever cap my headers and disconnect the EGR. What a mess! Now, since I am going to be running a hodgepodge of computer systems, I need to find some help with programming.

1) I will still be running the stock PCM for Gauges and trouble codes. I will need someone who can help me remove the codes that are due to having a different system running the DFI, and the removal of the EGR. Anyone local with experience with the L31 Vortec tuning? or will I need to send this one out to Ed Wright or Lyndon Wester?

2) The FAST DFI is going to take over full time control of the engine operation. I'm probably going to need a few days of dyno tuning here, as I don't think too many folks have a tune on the shelf for a blown suburban running 55# injectors. Any suggestions here?

3) This one's for Ellis. Since I already have the equivalent of a "secret" transmission, with a healthy stall converter I'll probably be needing the services of someone who knows the unit intimately to optimize the TCI controller. I'll keep you posted on my progress so we can schedule something down the line.

You gotta love wrenching on something where you can physically crawl under the hood and still have room to get the work done. I'm not a small guy either.
Old 04-04-2005, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by burbman

You gotta love wrenching on something where you can physically crawl under the hood and still have room to get the work done. I'm not a small guy either.
I was all ready to say that your title is mis-leading until I read the quote above.

"Busted Knuckles" is usually a title reserved for 4th gen LT1's when doing anything between the radiator and the firewall that involves spark plugs, or headers lol......

Mike
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sure I will help. I also have all the stuff to tune the Vortec half of your system I have not got to play with one yet so I am not sure what all we can do but I have it all. I am good for trucks from 96-04 now including Hummers.

Let me know when you want to play. I would like to play with the other two systems also
Old 04-04-2005, 09:02 PM
10 Second Club

An engine you can work on? WHat's that????

Did you get your grills in yet? I ordered mine today....
Old 04-04-2005, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Sure I will help. I also have all the stuff to tune the Vortec half of your system I have not got to play with one yet so I am not sure what all we can do but I have it all. I am good for trucks from 96-04 now including Hummers.

Let me know when you want to play. I would like to play with the other two systems also
You're hired. Now, I've got to draw up a couple of parts on CAD and send them off to emachineshop.com to be created.
Old 04-05-2005, 12:43 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
An engine you can work on? WHat's that????

Did you get your grills in yet? I ordered mine today....
Yup, took about an hour to do the grills. Three screws top center of the front fascia, two screws in each front wheel well, and three clips between the rear of the headlight and the wheel well on each side. One electrical connecter will disconnect the whole front harness so that the bumper can be removed. After that you need to remove two of the metal spring clips from each side of the grill to remove, then put in the new pieces, 4 metal spring clips per side, and reinstall the front fascia. Piece of cake.
Old 04-05-2005, 01:24 PM
10 Second Club

Cool, thanks for the update. How's it look?
Old 04-05-2005, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Cool, thanks for the update. How's it look?
Looks real good, If we ever get a dry weekend around here, I will try to head up to Quiznos. I took some pics during the install, but have not downloaded them to the computer yet.

Quick Reply: busted knuckles