Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Panhandler with a cell phone

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Panhandler with a cell phone

I saw this about a week ago but was thinking about it again today. This guy was down on the Seattle waterfront near the ferries and took a call as we walked by. He looked like he needed the cash but when that cell phone came out he screwed it up for all panhandlers for a while with me.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Panhandlers make bank. I work downtown and see them setting up every morning. I've never given them money, pisses me off they are on every corner downtown begging for money. Get a ****** real job and quit being pathetic and begging for money. Go flip burgers fercrissakes.

Rant Over.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah, panhandlers irk me as well... I see one and I keep thinking of that news story that was done a while back that said that a lot of them make over $20k a year in tax free money.

I'd love to see them get a visit from the IRS sometime telling them that either they need to pay back taxes on their handouts or go to federal prison.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Scam artists who are just too fuggin lazy to work or be responsible members of society..........I wouldn't (and don't) give them a penny.........hell, half of em use fear & intimidation tactics on women, the elderly, etc just to get free money. F&@k that!!!!!!
Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Veteran

The panhandlers were a little more pushy in Chicago... went there to visit my in-laws, and while were spending the day downtown had this one particular panhandler keep coming up to me saying "Hey man, hey man... can you spare some change?" And I said "Sorry guy, I don't have any change..." and he kept after it saying "I know you got some change, you or your lady there..." And finally I got pissed and said, "Look, I don't got any ******* change, so back off..."

I hate being rude to someone who looks like maybe they do need some help... but damn, when someone says no, just take the f'n hint and go bother someone else.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
The panhandlers were a little more pushy in Chicago... went there to visit my in-laws, and while were spending the day downtown had this one particular panhandler keep coming up to me saying "Hey man, hey man... can you spare some change?" And I said "Sorry guy, I don't have any change..." and he kept after it saying "I know you got some change, you or your lady there..." And finally I got pissed and said, "Look, I don't got any ******* change, so back off..."

I hate being rude to someone who looks like maybe they do need some help... but damn, when someone says no, just take the f'n hint and go bother someone else.
That is the problem a lot of them use those forceful tactics to scare people into doing it.........hard to feel sorry for a guy DEMANDING MY money that I actually worked for........
Old 06-09-2005, 11:54 AM
12 Second Club

I think I ought to give this a try.

My sign would read.

Disabled Veteran
Please help us
My Wife & Kids are hungry
Need Mod Money

God Bless

and of course have my dog with me.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You know what is sad most of those ******** make more money then me and they spend it on beer and wine pathetic...I knew of a panhandler when i was younger he claimed he made 40k a yr using very forceful tactics he would go after women with kids and get 5-10 bucks a pop.So i hate them ****** with a passion. Shoot them all IMHO..I better stop i'm getting fired up
Old 06-09-2005, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rottluver
That is the problem a lot of them use those forceful tactics to scare people into doing it.........hard to feel sorry for a guy DEMANDING MY money that I actually worked for........
I've actually given some change to the guys who just sit there with their cup/box/whatever and don't say anything... its when they start their "hard sell" tactics that I get pissed off. But the quiet ones who just sit there, they don't bother me...

As for the guys on the off ramps with their signs, I just wanna hand them a job application for one of the many temp agencies around... I worked a temp job for a while a few years back, and it wasn't bad, and about their only requirement was that you're breathing.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin

My sign would read.

Disabled Veteran
Please help us
Need Mod Money

God Bless

Need mod money i would cough up some change for that cause LOL
Old 06-09-2005, 12:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by slowpokez28
Need mod money i would cough up some change for that cause LOL
Good idea! I think I need a cardboard sign and an empty mayo jar at the car shows... it can say "Please help, can't afford proper detailing products..."

Old 06-09-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Tranzor_Z28
I've actually given some change to the guys who just sit there with their cup/box/whatever and don't say anything... its when they start their "hard sell" tactics that I get pissed off. But the quiet ones who just sit there, they don't bother me...

As for the guys on the off ramps with their signs, I just wanna hand them a job application for one of the many temp agencies around... I worked a temp job for a while a few years back, and it wasn't bad, and about their only requirement was that you're breathing.
I just have WAY too much experience dealing with these guys professionaly.......hell, I can't count the number of them I have dealt with that had over a grand in cash on their person when I stopped/talked to them..........More often then not, they were homeless by choice...."tired of owing money, tired of having to answer to someone else, tired of responsibility, blah blah blah"
Old 06-09-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CHarris
I saw this about a week ago but was thinking about it again today. This guy was down on the Seattle waterfront near the ferries and took a call as we walked by. He looked like he needed the cash but when that cell phone came out he screwed it up for all panhandlers for a while with me.
There is this guy that has been hanging around the Woodinville Cinema/Top Foods parking lot for about two years and I could see in a matter of 10 minutes getting handed about $5 (couple of C note a day?!). I never gave him one penny.

So about a month ago he is standing there with a friggin cell phone in his hand...WTF?!

I did have to laugh because as of late, whenever he's tried to hang on that corner the kids going to/from the cinemas gather round him and give him a hard time - they aren't stupid, they know by their parents griping how much a cell phone costs down to the minute. Pretty sure his 'earnings' have been reduced by quite a bit since then, those kids grow up to be ricers so you *know* how pesky they are
Old 06-09-2005, 05:21 PM
Loves to change spark plugs

All the panhandlers on the metered on ramps annoy the hell out of me. A couple weekends back we watched one get into his "get up" on the way to his begging spot at I205 and Foster. Stuffed his nice Reebock jacket and new shoes in a ratty duffle and put on his tattered denim jacket and **** kickers. Why flip burgers when you can sit all day and make twice as much $?

The ones that really get me are the people that use their kids. I ran a video store at the Fred Meyer in Beaverton years ago. A guy in his late twenties took up camp across from the main entrance to Freddies with a cardboard begging sign and his little girl in ratty clothes and barefoot. In October. Watched him smoke two cartons of cigarettes and drink a lot of 2 litre bottles of pop while his kid sat on the wet ground in the cold. Called the police but they couldn't do anything because it was private property, so a number of us talked to the Freddie's store manager and he got the big boys to hire some security to run the guy off. Took three days to do. That poor little kid sat out there every day. *******.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:45 PM
10 Second Club

My sign would read.

Disabled Veteran
Please help us
Need Mod Money

God Bless

Mod money, that's funny! Let me know if it works Steve....
Old 06-09-2005, 05:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 97BlackT\A
All the panhandlers on the metered on ramps annoy the hell out of me. A couple weekends back we watched one get into his "get up" on the way to his begging spot at I205 and Foster. Stuffed his nice Reebock jacket and new shoes in a ratty duffle and put on his tattered denim jacket and **** kickers. Why flip burgers when you can sit all day and make twice as much $?

The ones that really get me are the people that use their kids. I ran a video store at the Fred Meyer in Beaverton years ago. A guy in his late twenties took up camp across from the main entrance to Freddies with a cardboard begging sign and his little girl in ratty clothes and barefoot. In October. Watched him smoke two cartons of cigarettes and drink a lot of 2 litre bottles of pop while his kid sat on the wet ground in the cold. Called the police but they couldn't do anything because it was private property, so a number of us talked to the Freddie's store manager and he got the big boys to hire some security to run the guy off. Took three days to do. That poor little kid sat out there every day. *******.
That ***** needs to be BEAT!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

The cell phones are donated by the state of Washington unemployment office to help these people get jobs. It bothers me that they have them and abuse them and it bothers me more that my tax money pays for it.

When I was working at Seafirst Bank in downtown Seattle in 1992, there was one that was in front of our buildings and I asked him why he does not just come up to HR and get a job. He said he made 10 bucks an hour tax free, why would he want one? The frustrating thing was that was more than I was making.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:15 PM
TECH Addict

Disabled Veteran
Please help us
Need Mod Money

God Bless
I have seen quite a few of these downtown with only one veriation: it actually said "Need Beer Money."
Old 06-10-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by howierd42
The cell phones are donated by the state of Washington unemployment office to help these people get jobs. It bothers me that they have them and abuse them and it bothers me more that my tax money pays for it.

When I was working at Seafirst Bank in downtown Seattle in 1992, there was one that was in front of our buildings and I asked him why he does not just come up to HR and get a job. He said he made 10 bucks an hour tax free, why would he want one? The frustrating thing was that was more than I was making.
SAY WHAT?
We pay Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much in property tax to support that program - emails will be sent off to put a stop to that sort of crap.
Its crap because there are enough groups where people can check in daily for jobs (as in actual buildings). What, do they expect someone to call at 2pm and say they have a job ready?

The signs that say "need beer money", seen em' and they get a quarter for being honest!
Its a euphimistic quarter of course.

Quick Reply: Panhandler with a cell phone