Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

I've been screwed!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I've been screwed!

Found a screw just inside the outer shoulder of my front right tire this morning. Car is at Les Schwab right now, and they are going to see if it is fixable (awful close to the sidewall). I am already scheduled for the performance driving class at PR on the 5th, so I'm not too keen on taking the car out on the road course with a plugged tire, so I need some help here.

I could:
1) replace that tire with a new BFG KDWS. Car only has about 4K miles, so the other tires shouldn't be too far off from a new one.

2) Spring for a set of Nitto 555RII's all the way around in the stock size, and mount on the stock wheels,

3) Upgrade to 18" wheels, and do the Nitto's in that size, or

4) Something entirely different.

This is on my 05 GTO which is used as a daily driver, and I put ~50miles a day on it commuting to-from work. I have been known to top triple digits rather regularly (3-4 days per week) as I head home on I-90, and I may get out to the track for an occasional trip down the strip, but that would be secondary to the other uses.

Any thoughts/comments appreciated.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Honestly, for your trip to the raceway, I wouldn't go with the KDWS.........they are a very hard compound made more for longevity and wet traction then they are for cornering.......

Just my $.02

Sorry to hear about the screwing.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would go with the nittos They are great all around tires ...If the price seems steep go with the proxie 4's they are good tire and they may even last a bit longer.
Old 06-18-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most places will use the plug with the patch attached. It goes from the inside out and I've personally run one up to 135 mph with no issues (hey.. you don't just toss out a 315/35 with half its life left!). Seriously it should not be a problem considering you're not in a track only full on race car. I seriously doubt that you'll be driving full on in your 2005 GTO, so I'd make sure its the patch like I said and go ahead and enjoy your track day.

Pick out some nice 18's and put some traction tires on them instead and then really get after it
Old 06-18-2005, 07:02 PM
12 Second Club

yeah les schwab typically didn't use the plugs when I worked there they used patches, plugs are ok for quick fixes but they usually don't hold up very well in the long run.