Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

GM top end cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM top end cleaning

I've heard some good things about this stuff and was thinking about running it through the "new" engine in my truck. I'm disappointed in the power of this engine, and I'm thinking this stuff might help out a bit. Anybody use it? Good results? Where's the best place to get it or should I just go to the dealership?

Thanks.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

I use it twice a year for carbon build up on the pistons. Is right around $6 a bottle at a GM parts place. Another option is Seafoam, works about as good and can find it at any parts store. I've always used Seafoam, but bought some GM top engine cleaner when at the dealer a few weeks back and it seemed to work a little better. Simple enough to use(pour in hose to throttle body about a 1/2 bottle). Let sit for 15 minutes. Start car and bring up idle to about 1,000 rpms, then after a minute to 1,500 rpms. White smoke should be pouring out the car at this time. After the smoke cools down take it for a mile drive and your done. check engine light always goes off on my 02 Z28 for multiple missfires. I reset it and never comes back. Not sure if it would do anything on a new motor. I know the Ls1's get carbon built up on the pistons and mine started to get knock in lower rpms so that was the reason I started using it. Any questions or any help let me know. I'm about 10 minutes away from you.

Last edited by rotwiler; 09-09-2005 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-10-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Rotwiler... the GM Top Engine Cleaner is awesome. Can't beat the price either.

Quick Reply: GM top end cleaning