Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

painting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 03:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default painting question

i was just wondering if anyone has tried repainting their front bumper? i have a bunch of rock chips on my bumper, and i want to get it looking better without putting on a bra. and i don't want to sit there and fix every sigle chip, cause we're talkin like hundereds. has anyone tried using a duplicolor can matched to the arctic white? or has anyone painted it with a spray gun, and if you did, how much was everything? one more thing, i was wanting to get a retune on my car, but when i got my intake and exhaust i ran out of money to send my pcm to madz28. how much would it be fore some one to get a tune on my car?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have not tried repainting the front bumper on a f-body, however i have on other cars DO NOT GET THE SPRAY CANS it looks great for a few months then it starts to fade and look worse than what it was before. My 2 cents worth
Go with a standard paint gun set up. around here the standard prices are 54/gal for paint, clearcoat is 40/gal not sure what the thinner/reducer is a gal.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:13 AM
10 Second Club

I would take it to a spray booth and do it there at the very least..........or pay to have it done. If you take the part off it'll be easier/cheaper to have it painted. I need to have my whole car painted, and I'm scared ot the cost.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If there are numerous rock chips, the best advice is to take it in and start all over. Dupicolor will look pretty bad and even though it may say it matches your finish, it will not. GM could have up to 6 variants of that color per year and even then it could be off from what the tint of the paint is supposed to be. Best thing would be to take it into a shop, have the paint color matched and have it refinished. Yeah, it will cost you a lot more, but it will look so much better and that 'Vette deserves it.
For the future, talk with the painter about adding a bit more flex additive to the basecoat and that might reduce the amount of rock chips. They willl have to put some in anyway (for the plastic and fiberglass) so, if they add, maybe 5% more, it will reduce the risk of getting anymore chips.

Quick Reply: painting question