Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

newb with a Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default newb with a Question

hi all
this is my first ls1 and that being said I know not that much. I do know that living in Wyoming takes alot of your horsepower away because of the altitude and my question is what mods would best fix that problem and help gain the the lost hp due to the thin air and such so far I have thought that a cold air intake and the free mods and some exhaust work would be the quickest way to free up the system and I am not looking to blow a lot of cash on this one just looking for something that will help me to spank a friend who is running a stock 1998 prelude and thinks he can really give me a run. as of now the car has a new air lid and has subframe connectors but that is all the mods. If there is anyone on this board from wyoming I would love to know who so we could try and get a f body club going for wyoming
Any help or suggestions would be great
Greg
Old 11-19-2005, 03:13 PM
Tech Addict

you should be able to whip a prelude's *** stock for stock no problem.

what car do you have? what year?

air lid, headers, ported tb, ls6 intake(depending on year of your car, '01 & '02 have them stock)

with all that thin air a turbo or supercharge would be nice, but they are spendy.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah you should have no problems with a stock prelude.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah you should have no problems with a stock prelude.
I should also say that this kid is not some riced out kid he is a previous fbody kid and he likes his new prelude and even admitted that the ls1 is a hell of a motor. I should also say that when we go it will be in the lower altitude of NE. As for what the car is it is an automatic hard top 98 formula with the subframe connectors and the lid like I said and the guy I am getting it from said he ran a solid low 13 pass at 105 in the quarter. I have thought about the ls6 intake but I was not sure if it was all that impressive. I also looked into the 90 mm throttle body and was curious what if anything that would help. I should also add that this is not going to be my big fast car this is the car you cruise in and as a more daily driver I just want something to that will make a true 300 hp at my altitude. BTW I don't know if there is any love in here for the older f-bodies but I also got a 78 TA 400 with a 4 spd sitting in the garage waiting for a full restore and rebuild. I hope this answers any of your questions to help me out and I appreciate all the help this site is for me.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Where in Wyoming do you live? I'm in Greybull which is 53 miles east of Cody. Welcome to the board. Jay
Old 11-19-2005, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gojo83
I should also say that this kid is not some riced out kid he is a previous fbody kid and he likes his new prelude and even admitted that the ls1 is a hell of a motor.
Yeah either way a stock prelude is only good for mid 15's some might hit low 15's but not many.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Welcome to the board.

78 T/A 400 4-Speed. I had a 79 T/A 400 4-Speed.

400 Right not the 403 Oldsmobile? What color? WS-6

That will be a fun car to restore.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW a race with a stock Prelude is not worth the gas it would take. I don't even bother with cars like that

You'd have to give him a few carlengths to make it fair
Old 11-20-2005, 02:05 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 93TAWicked1
WOW a race with a stock Prelude is not worth the gas it would take. I don't even bother with cars like that

You'd have to give him a few carlengths to make it fair
You got that one right. They'd probably be toast before you got out of 2nd gear.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:51 PM
10 Second Club

Welcome Greg. As everyone has said, you already have him by 2 seconds.....

That said, most people start with a lid & K&N / Air hog filter. You can also add some MAF ends. I put on a Granatelli MAF & picked up 1/4 sec & 15hp, but it pinged, so I put the stock elec on the Gran MAF ends & kept the power & lost the pinging.

For an auto car, the best thing you can do (without adding parts) is get a tuner. The Predator comes with a perf tune that you just downlaod. It adds timing, gets rid of Torque Management, and some other stuff. And you can tweak things a little too, like shift points, air feul, fan settings,etc. A Predator is a good way to get into tuning. Very safe! Buy it from RunninWithTheDevil if you get one. James is one of the best guys you will ever deal with.

Mark
Old 11-20-2005, 04:44 PM
TECH Regular

I have the preditor canned tune for my HP Tuners its a poor tune I HIGHLY recommend HP TUNERS it has been great for me. everytime I do a mod I tune it to optomise the mod. its a must if you ask me. IE: I ported and pollished my throttle body with a dremmel and it lost power, I went in and added fuel and a couple degrees of timing and it pulled like hell. when its cold I start getting detonation and the knock retard makes you lose tons of power so Ellis went in and improvee my knock retard recovery to recover faster and its great so many things you can do with the HP Tuners IE: if you get gears you can correct the speedo, if you cut your cats off you can disable the rear O2s you can change the fan setting to come on earlier for a colder thermostat, the list goes on. do all the free mods first IE: free ram air mod, its a 98 so you need to hacksaw the EGR pipe that dumps directly behind the throttle body, throttle body coolant bypass, descrean the MAF, the list goes on. PM me if you need to know how to do these things.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Welcome Greg. As everyone has said, you already have him by 2 seconds.....

That said, most people start with a lid & K&N / Air hog filter. You can also add some MAF ends. I put on a Granatelli MAF & picked up 1/4 sec & 15hp, but it pinged, so I put the stock elec on the Gran MAF ends & kept the power & lost the pinging.

For an auto car, the best thing you can do (without adding parts) is get a tuner. The Predator comes with a perf tune that you just downlaod. It adds timing, gets rid of Torque Management, and some other stuff. And you can tweak things a little too, like shift points, air feul, fan settings,etc. A Predator is a good way to get into tuning. Very safe! Buy it from RunninWithTheDevil if you get one. James is one of the best guys you will ever deal with.

Mark
lid check
K&N check

I have also wondered if the shift kit for the auto would help any or not just really looking for something that won't suck as much gas as my 400 but will also have the power to destroy the rice around and we have plenty I live close to the famous WYOTECH which is a rice and lowrider magnet. I was also thinking just for traction purposes only 17x11 on the rear and 17x9 on the front for the stance and the lock up when I go. she is not going to be flogged severely that is what I am going to leave to the 69 bird I have my eye on with a bored out 455 tubbed and ready to drag and the 78 is just my dream car so I am going to love her and keep her cherry. oh BTW I love my birds. well I appreciate all the help and support here and I will keep posting as things come up.
BTW the kid with the prelude is a good friend and well we are looking at a 3 way race me ls1 formula, him in a manual 98 prelude and, anoother bud in a manual 3.8 stang. looking to keep them with me and then let them have it. looking at a 1 mile straight no cops no nothing just us and a rice, ford and bird match. I will have the video posted when we do it

Greg
Old 11-20-2005, 04:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Steve Goodwin
Welcome to the board.

78 T/A 400 4-Speed. I had a 79 T/A 400 4-Speed.

400 Right not the 403 Oldsmobile? What color? WS-6

That will be a fun car to restore.
it is a z code 400 and it is green not sure if that is the factory color but I will try to get pics later and I am not sure about the ws6 I am still working on getting the codes all decoded and this pesky little deployment didn't help matters

Greg
Old 11-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Banned

First off, don't de-screen your maf or do the maf ends. If you're still trying to stay mostly stock but just a few bolt-ons then you're probably not going to get a tune. And if you're tuning it yourself then you will get headaches trying to tune maf-ends and descreened mafs.

I suggest some long tubes and cat back. A free flowing exhaust will help scavenging and improve gas mileage. Plus you'll get the added power and sound. Port and polish your stock throttle body and throw an ls6 intake on it and you should be good to go.

You may or may not want a converter as it will decrease your mileage. Maybe if you keep it small (around 3000) then you wont notice too much decrease. This is the first mod i'd do to the car if it were mine.

nate
Old 11-20-2005, 10:44 PM
10 Second Club

This **** is funny..........dude you should take your freind out and race him then you'll see what you got. Then start to mod it.

The LS1 is such a badass platform to build on...........welcome to the forum and enjoy the never ending quest.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Greg, first I will say welcome to the board.

Next, I have to agree with all my buds here and say you should SMOKE your friend in his qualude, er, Prelude, without doing a freaking thing to your car.

I would just do all the free mods you can at this point. My T/A is my daily and every thing I did to it only improved drivablilty and mileage, except the 3600 Yank. That took my mpg from 21 down to 14. But I have learned how to drive it now and it is around 17 if I just go to work and back with it. Free mods and MAF are for real. LS6 and 90mm TB might be a bit much for you if you are just going to use it for a daily driver. That being said, anything you can do to help it breath (in and out) would be good.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

hi all I am getting kinda off topic with this one but I am going to be off the boards for a while while I get back into the states from this shithole they call Iraq but I will post up when I am back in business. A couple prayers for a good trip would be apreciated too. Have a great holiday season and hope to post on here when I am sitting in a lazy boy enjoying a beer and loving life.

Greg