Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Idiot at autozone (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Idiot at autozone (rant)

So I go to Autozone to get wire to hook up my bottle warmer. Guy behind the counter ask what all the wire is for. I point to the WS6 and tell him what it is for and he Chuckles.
Man so you want to run 13's ?

I said no I want to run 11's I have already busted out a couple of 12's. I tell him my mods.

He says, "How many times have you had to reprogram your LT1 Computer"

I said "I thought I said I had a 2000, that means LS1"

He says Oh those are even worse no program you can use to tune it again"
He then spots off about a crappy drive train and shift postion.

I say fine. Just give me my change

I turn around to leave and I see an 86 5.0 sitting out in the parking lot. I said that must be your turd eh? Not trying to supress my hatred of Ford.

It is not a turd tells me a buch of stuff he has done some of it bogus (I had a 91 GT).

I said what does it run.

It will do low 11's
I said gee that is pretty good what was your 60' foot time? MPH? Blank look.

I pull out my 12 second time slip from my wallet to show him and he goes OH that stuff.
Well I haven't had it on the track.

I said lets run them then. I will give you 200 bucks if you win and will take nothing if I win. (First time I ever offered up money for a race)
Doesn't want to do backs out saying car needs tires the timing is off blah blah Blah.
I said you are ******* tool who wouldn't know a Cam from a Brake rotor. Don't know why Autozone whould hire you.
I was asked to leave, which I did in a clould of smoke

What a ******* stupid know nothing dick man he pissed me off more than I have been in at least a year. I don't know why.
Old 12-24-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was this guys name John?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't remeber, late 30's early 40's. Tall dark hair.
Old 12-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Posers=****

Thanks for putting him in his place.
Old 12-24-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah I hate that **** all I wanted was some wire for my bottle warmer and this guy felt the need to talk ****. Fine if he wanted to actually go run a bit but back down and then not know about MPH and 60 foot time. Tard
Old 12-24-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cory I think the John may be the heavy set guy with older Mustang and 302 powered RX7 He is actually really cool.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Don't know why Autozone whould hire you.
Well, I guess speaking from a business sense you kinda get what ya pay for.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah I guess so...my bad...
Old 12-25-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Second Club

I have had similar experiences from such places.............I just get my **** and leave. Most of those dudes don't know there parts from there *******!

I praise you for your *****............good on you for putting that **** in his place. I hate people who think act like they know what they are talking about.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:30 AM
TECH Regular

Working at Schmuck's every other person that comes in thinks I know absolutely nothing about engines, cars or hell, even much more than breathing.

I don't claim to know a lot, I don't. But I don't understand how companies can hire such freaking retards. I've gone into places like that and just smile and nod; hoping they won't talk to me.

When I applied at Schmuck's I took an apptitude test that actually had some pretty difficult questions (Static compression vs dynamic, degree'ing cams, likely causes for certain problems, etc) and if these guys did so poorly on those, I don't know how they got jobs...

That's why whenever someone asks what I do, I tell them I'm a stupid parts store guy.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:33 AM
On The Tree

Man...I don't even know what to say, I work for a NAPA..I work the counter and I am ASE certified ( altho somedays I think that means Another Stupid Employee) I CANNOT fathom how anyone, anywhere could spout like that to a customer and keep their job ..
If you have the ability, try a NAPA, I wont SWEAR that wont happen, but the NAPA's I have worked for require cert's , experience and a touch of common sense, we get our share of idjits too, but <thanks God> no Ricer's or harelip ex burger flippin bench racin think yor mommas callin ya orville salespersons
Old 12-25-2005, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

I am not sure I have ever had luck dealing with competence behind the counter at ANY auto parts store. They usually tell me what the book says and, of course, it contradicts what I know to be true. And they say they are right and I end up leaving in a huff and a smokey burn out in their parking lot. Does not matter if it's schmucks, auto zone, napa, squealership or any other hole in the wall place. But I do tend to be rather short tempered and brusk too.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by howierd42
I am not sure I have ever had luck dealing with competence behind the counter at ANY auto parts store. They usually tell me what the book says and, of course, it contradicts what I know to be true. And they say they are right and I end up leaving in a huff and a smokey burn out in their parking lot. Does not matter if it's schmucks, auto zone, napa, squealership or any other hole in the wall place. But I do tend to be rather short tempered and brusk too.
See I think this is a big problem at a lot of places. Most of the guys I have been helped by think their computer or book is the be-all-end-all. Which obviously isn't the case. Everytime I look up a part and sell someone something I encourage them to check it out and make sure everything matches up because computers don't always tell the truth. Someone may have made a mistake a long the way. Although a lot of times the customers just don't know what they have and keep insisting that their right. I don't tell them otherwise, just try to find what their looking for to get their job done.

I seem to get a lot of the...

'I bought X part and it doesn't fit.'
Okay, year/make/model?
'It's an 82 cutlass, but it has a 350 rocket in it'
Did you tell the guy when you bought this that the alternator you needed was for an olds 350 and not a v6?
'No'
Okay, well let me find the one you need.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Veteran

I've lucked out only once at a NAPA store in Port Townsend where the guy behind the counter knew the exact fuel filter I needed, rang it up and gave me his number after I asked where the nearest tow company was just in case. He freakin shows up with everything you would need to work on a car if you were at the track and never said a thing about how damn good he was and the **** he did know for fact, bout had to pry it out of him with a crowbar.

Its the ones that don't say much more than "Hello" and "What part do you need?" that know what they are doing, the ones that have to refer to "the parts manual" for every single part are the smack talkers who have their girfriends driving POS ricers and think a Saleen has been the best car produced since they were born...but of course they won't own one because of (insert endless list of inane excuses here).

Its sad that yes, you get what you pay for and the only ones worth dealing with are only there long enough to make a little cash for more mods. They are also fed up with customers who talk as much smack as the guys they work next to. Its no wonder they don't stick around very long.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Our Napa hear is Great! But by the time I got done working it was closed. So off to Autozone I went.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

I really like both the Schucks and NAPA in my hometown. the Schucks lost most of their good employees lately, however, they impressed me lately when I came into the store to get a new battery for the 32 Chevy. Normally they'd give me a blank look and say our computers don't go back that far, she took a look at the battery and knew the type.
NAPA had a guy working there that had a 88 GTA that looked almost exactly like my 88 Trans Am and knew his stuff.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by iansane
See I think this is a big problem at a lot of places. Most of the guys I have been helped by think their computer or book is the be-all-end-all. Which obviously isn't the case. Everytime I look up a part and sell someone something I encourage them to check it out and make sure everything matches up because computers don't always tell the truth. Someone may have made a mistake a long the way. Although a lot of times the customers just don't know what they have and keep insisting that their right. I don't tell them otherwise, just try to find what their looking for to get their job done.

I seem to get a lot of the...

'I bought X part and it doesn't fit.'
Okay, year/make/model?
'It's an 82 cutlass, but it has a 350 rocket in it'
Did you tell the guy when you bought this that the alternator you needed was for an olds 350 and not a v6?
'No'
Okay, well let me find the one you need.
I still love your car man!
Old 12-26-2005, 12:17 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
I still love your car man!

Thanks! Trade?
Old 12-26-2005, 01:00 AM
On The Tree

just my 2 cents I have learned over the years, both before my mother started working at a parts store and since ... If you can, get a middle-aged woman to help you. They are not going to try to impress you with their knowledge, and they usually have enough sense to help you find the right part. The young guys are the worst, as they think just because they are "ASE Certified" it means they know everything and they can impress everyone.

Also, just because someone is a manager doesnt mean they know squat. Alot of the companies will promote employees up the ladder only based on if they are willing to work the hours. Sad but true.

Nothing irks me more then going in to get a part and having to deal with some snot nosed "parts guy" who stands there and tells you "But the COMPUTER SAYS..." when you have the part in hand saying "Umm, I don't care, they dont MATCH!"
Old 12-26-2005, 01:32 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NautyAngel
just my 2 cents I have learned over the years, both before my mother started working at a parts store and since ... If you can, get a middle-aged woman to help you. They are not going to try to impress you with their knowledge, and they usually have enough sense to help you find the right part. The young guys are the worst, as they think just because they are "ASE Certified" it means they know everything and they can impress everyone.
ASE Certified?? Most any competent high school kid fresh out of Automotive class can pass most of the ASE tests. I had a couple kids that hung out at my shop and they passed the test after I fudged their employement history to get them in. Just cuz they got one of those certs don't mean bull pucky. It just means the are good test takers. In my old engineering job, I worked with lots of PE's in the paper industry while some of them are good, many are just test takers but with the PE they make more $$$ PE = Professional Ediot I am sure I will **** a few of them off The PEs I worked with signed off on all my designs and revisions without even looking at them, but then again I had more experience than most of them Funny in the engineering field a young engineer with a BS (bull Sh*t) or a young PE thinks he knows everything too

Quick Reply: Idiot at autozone (rant)