Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Cylinder head question/debate!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cylinder head question/debate!!!

So I have heard that the LS2 based heads are favored because they have better clearance for bigger cams or something like that? I would think that if you could mill them then port them and still be able to get a huge cam in........You wouldn't be able to beat them!! So is this true?

What do you guys think?
Old 12-28-2005, 10:17 AM
10 Second Club

Do LS2 heads fit LS1s? I thought the ports were different.....
Old 12-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS2 heads are standard LS6 heads casting number 243. So other than being a ls6 head there is nothing better/different about them.
Old 12-28-2005, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

See I thought they were taller LS6 castings!

Ryan, so your basically saying the LS6 and LS2 are the same? And either would be a great head to use? I ask because most of the companies like SLP and Patriot are using the LS2 and doing there own thing to make them better. And from what I heard (don't quote me), since the heads are bigger or something, you can use bigger cams where as if you were using the LS6/LS1 style heads you couldn't use as big of a cam without flycutting!

Anyone heard anything like this???
Old 12-28-2005, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

See what I know. There used to be a sticky in the engine forum detailing the CR & combution chamber sizes for each head, but I don't see it now. Maybe you can search for it. Basically a bigger chamber means you should have more clearance & can therefore run a bigger cam. And one casting has a thicker deck so they are stronger & can be milled more. My LQ4 heads (6.0L) have a 72cc chamber & I'm running 580-600 lift with 230+ duration & have over .200" piston to valve clearance. But I have dished & fly-cut pistons.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Ideally, I'd like to have milled heads that will have around 11.1:1 compression or so and still be able to run a big cam! Say around 232/237ish..........

And then I heard that the LS2 heads were prefered for some reason and that all the major cylinder head companies who aren't making there own castings, were prefering the LS2's over the LS6's! I may have to do some serious research on this!!!!

I have old school heads from back in the day!! And my cam isn't much better! It sounds good and runs great, but there are guys making 450rwhp with heads and cam combo's on the 346! I'll be lucky to see 400rwhp with my heads and cam!
Old 12-28-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark, all LSx heads have the same piston / valve clearance. If they didn't, you'd have different pushrod length or something in the valvetrain geometry that would allow that greater clearance. Larger combustion chambers are made larger by other means than a thicker deck on the head; usually less shroud around the spark plug and higher arch in the chamber.
Old 12-28-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

The reason why you may see LS2 heads advertised rather than LS6 heads is due to availability (I'm speculating here) but the LS6 heads were only available in the Z06 and CTSV, right? The LS2 heads are available in the GTO, standard corvette, SSR?, etc. and are current production heads. I'm not sure if the LS2 heads have the sodium filled valves too, but if not I would imagine that would be another cost saving on them (since most of the time when porting you have bigger valves put in them.

So basically I think its more of a supply thing rather than better performance.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ackattack1
The reason why you may see LS2 heads advertised rather than LS6 heads is due to availability (I'm speculating here) but the LS6 heads were only available in the Z06 and CTSV, right? The LS2 heads are available in the GTO, standard corvette, SSR?, etc. and are current production heads. I'm not sure if the LS2 heads have the sodium filled valves too, but if not I would imagine that would be another cost saving on them (since most of the time when porting you have bigger valves put in them.

So basically I think its more of a supply thing rather than better performance.
no sodium valves on the ls2 heads.