Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Getting close, but not quite..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2006, 01:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Getting close, but not quite..

Thought I had everything ready to start up my Volvo 16v engine in my Volvo 242 today, running distributorless and with LS1 coil packs. Started cranking and found out that only cylinders 2&3 were firing (paired for wasted spark). My first spark output was not even giving a signal, and was always staying on.

Took the MegaSquirt box apart and found a solder bridge between two of the legs on the transistor going to my first spark output. I bought this pre-assembled from one of the major two MS assemblers online, so I am not very happy. I fixed the solder bridge and tried cranking it again, but still I was getting no signal for my first spark output! I am pissed and so I called it a night.

I think the problem is in the hardware on the board at the moment, I think having that solder bridge there must have fried something. I am going to call the company I bought the board from tomorrow to see if they will send me a new one to replace it. Makes me mad when my car doesn't start when it's not even my fault or in my power!

But, at least I know that everything is working as planned when the spark output sends a signal. Cylinders 2&3 are both firing away
Old 06-20-2006, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

So you're gonna be running it w/ a coil on plug set up?
Pretty cool! Good luck...
Old 06-20-2006, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

Well it's LS1 coil packs, so coil near plug. I'm thinking the problem lies in the software at the moment. I am so sure my settings are correct, but it's just not giving a second spark output. Kind of discouraging. Sent an email to the guy who wrote MSnS-E to see if he could help me out, so hopefully he will have some answers..
Old 06-22-2006, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Oh my god I just found out what is wrong and this is the dumbest mistake I have made in my entire limited car modding life. I made the stupid assumption that since all 1990+ Volvo redblock cars use a Bosch 60-2 missing gap wheel, that my wheel on the 1990 boat engine was also 60-2. I made some logs with MegaSquirt that showed 20 teeth and then a gap, and that wasn't making any sense at all! I just pulled the starter and started counting teeth as I turned it over. It's a freaking 44-2-2 wheel! ****! I was just going to use this heavy (29lb) stepped flywheel for the time being for simplicity, and was later going to put a 60-2 toner ring on a lightened flat flywheel (~14lb) and use that, but I guess I will be doing that sooner rather than later. I feel like an idiot.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Poik
Oh my god I just found out what is wrong and this is the dumbest mistake I have made in my entire limited car modding life. ... I feel like an idiot.
You must just be a kid because if that's all you've ever done, you've got lots to look forward to.
Old 06-22-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
You must just be a kid because if that's all you've ever done, you've got lots to look forward to.

No expensive mistakes so far! I'm 20. I just spent awhile researching and researching, finding all the information about everything I needed to know, and the one thing that stops me is this stupid mistake! I'm the only one on the biggest Volvo performance board in the US that is doing this stuff, so I didn't have any walk through to go off of. I am 99% sure all my megasquirt stuff is correct now, just need to get that flywheel.

I found a guy local here in Bellingham that runs a Volvo yard, but he wants $150 for the flywheel. I'm just going to have to get one of those toner rings and mount it to one of the flat flywheels I have at my other house.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
10 Second Club

No expensive mistakes so far! I'm 20. I just spent awhile researching and researching, finding all the information about everything I needed to know, and the one thing that stops me is this stupid mistake! I'm the only one on the biggest Volvo performance board in the US that is doing this stuff, so I didn't have any walk through to go off of. I am 99% sure all my megasquirt stuff is correct now, just need to get that flywheel.

I found a guy local here in Bellingham that runs a Volvo yard, but he wants $150 for the flywheel. I'm just going to have to get one of those toner rings and mount it to one of the flat flywheels I have at my other house.
Why not reprogram for the 44-2-2?
Old 06-22-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Anyone smell fuel.........................."
Old 06-22-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Addict

Why not reprogram for the 44-2-2?
44-2-2 would not work, because it has 2 opposing gaps. Therefore I only get 20 teeth as reference points, so one spark output will fire twice as fast as it should, and the other will not work at all.

Would be able to redrill for 44-2, but then each tooth represents 8.181818º, and I would rather just stick a 60-2 wheel on there to avoid problems in MegaSquirt if I have the damn thing out. I'm not looking forward to pulling the iron case transmission back out, it's as heavy as a T56..
Old 06-22-2006, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc

FIRE BAD!!!!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Turns out the "Regina" Volvos only came in automatic, and there is the age-old dilema of how to convert them to manual and keep the stock ignition. So I just stumbled upon the answer to this, and the 44-2-2 manual flywheel is kind of valuable because it is <0.1% of the 60-2 flywheels
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Turns out the "Regina" Volvos only came in automatic, and there is the age-old dilema of how to convert them to manual and keep the stock ignition. So I just stumbled upon the answer to this, and the 44-2-2 manual flywheel is kind of valuable because it is <0.1% of the 60-2 flywheels

cha-ching lol

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc

Old 06-23-2006, 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

May have found a flywheel in Surrey, BC that I can get tomorrow so I am excited!

Once this thing runs and drives it will be pretty unique! Largest Volvo performance board in the US, 12,419 members, current NA record is a blistering 15.7 in the 1/4 mile. If tuned right, I'll be shattering that
Old 06-23-2006, 07:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

current NA record is a blistering 15.7 in the 1/4 mile. If tuned right, I'll be shattering that
Sweet!!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

May have found a flywheel in Surrey, BC that I can get tomorrow so I am excited!

Once this thing runs and drives it will be pretty unique! Largest Volvo performance board in the US, 12,419 members, current NA record is a blistering 15.7 in the 1/4 mile. If tuned right, I'll be shattering that
You da man.