Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler

Now that summer is here, I've noticed my motor oil runs a little hotter than I'd like (as in >240*!). So I've been perusing the forums for what kind of oil cooler people are using. Since I don't have the LG radiator, I need to build my own. This seems like an easy way to get at the oil.....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Tech Addict

Doesn't GM make a fitting block that bolts up to the blocked off oil ports above filter housing mount. I thought the Vette utilizes that area for it's oil cooler system. 3/8 npt might be a bit small for good oil flow to and from the cooler?

some stuff

article

LPE

LMP

Last edited by Rokko; 07-03-2006 at 10:53 AM.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Now that summer is here, I've noticed my motor oil runs a little hotter than I'd like (as in >240*!). So I've been perusing the forums for what kind of oil cooler people are using. Since I don't have the LG radiator, I need to build my own. This seems like an easy way to get at the oil.....

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Any thoughts?
I believe that adaptor is for a Gen I SBC. This is probably what you need.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/rad-10.html
Old 07-03-2006, 11:07 AM
10 Second Club

The Lingenfelter part has a port for my Oil Temp gauge, which is good since it blocks off the port I'm using now. And I am aquiring a 2 stage cooler, 1/2 of which is available for this (the other 1/2 will be for a dif cooler, which is also hotter than I'd like.....>200* after 50+ miles at 70mph)
Old 07-03-2006, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
The Lingenfelter part has a port for my Oil Temp gauge, which is good since it blocks off the port I'm using now. And I am aquiring a 2 stage cooler, 1/2 of which is available for this (the other 1/2 will be for a dif cooler, which is also hotter than I'd like.....>200* after 50+ miles at 70mph)
Wow, all that power makes extra heat everywhere.

Is your S/C tied in to your oil system?
Old 07-03-2006, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

No, the ATIs are a closed system using their own special type of oil. Not sure what it is, but it smells BAD!

As for the heat, yeah, an iron block holds more heat in, even without the s/c. Plus I only have room for 1 fan on the radiator because the blower. And then there's that big old Ford 9" with it's massive gears.....

It's funny, the tranny runs nice & cool. I rarely see it go above 150* even at the track. But then it has 2 coolers on it (Be-Cool radiator + ext B&M).

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler