Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Speeding Ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2006, 01:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NVME
lol....you're such a cop.
And that seemed to me to be the reason the OP asked for me by name.

Just offering my suggestions as to how to interpret the situation. :shrug:
Old 07-29-2006, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Rottluver
And that seemed to me to be the reason the OP asked for me by name.

Just offering my suggestions as to how to interpret the situation. :shrug:

Great advice! "I don't know the exact law, but I'd write you a ticket anyway because it doesn't seem safe to me." Hence my remark.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NVME
Great advice! "I don't know the exact law, but I'd write you a ticket anyway because it doesn't seem safe to me." Hence my remark.
WTF dude? Show me where I said that and I will be silent.....otherwise you are way off base. I never said "I don't know the exact law", "I'd write the ticket anyway", etc. I offered my opinion (which was asked for) and that was it. God forbid a former cop sounds like a cop.

This is why I hate threads like this here.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:27 AM
TECH Addict

I can certainly see Darrin's point of view. 80 to pass someone travling 40 does sound high in questionable conditions or otherwise. (The following is not intended to ruffle any feathers.) HOWEVER, we all know how easily these cars can climb to speeds of 80 mph from a roll, modded or not. We also know how well these cars respond to speed, modded or not, and it does not seem like you are doing 80 sometimes and you don't even know you are moving that fast until you glance down at the speedo. All that aside, the law is the law and there is no stated speed for passing situations. I would hit the n2o if I thought it would help me get around someone faster and out of the way of potential on coming traffic.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by howierd42
I can certainly see Darrin's point of view. 80 to pass someone travling 40 does sound high in questionable conditions or otherwise. (The following is not intended to ruffle any feathers.) HOWEVER, we all know how easily these cars can climb to speeds of 80 mph from a roll, modded or not. We also know how well these cars respond to speed, modded or not, and it does not seem like you are doing 80 sometimes and you don't even know you are moving that fast until you glance down at the speedo. All that aside, the law is the law and there is no stated speed for passing situations. I would hit the n2o if I thought it would help me get around someone faster and out of the way of potential on coming traffic.
I don't diasagree with anything you said (nor were any feathers ruffled ) but IIRC, the original poster mentioned that the State Trooper was coming towards him, out of the curve, when he saw him. Meaning that he (the OP) was approaching this curve as he was passing the vehicle......my personal & professional point would be that he either should have tried to pass earlier (if it was possible) or waited till after the curve so as to eliminate any potential legal issues. I think the other problem comes from where the RCW that someone posted states that you can ONLY speed long enough to safely complete the passing (or something to that effect) and so if he was back on his side of the road and still cruising along at 80+ after completing the pass, gentle braking or a slight downshift (to get back to around the speed limit) would be in order to be in compliance with the law.

As far as our types of cars getting up to speed faster/not seeming like they are going as fast as they are........(typical cop response here) regardless, that is the responsibility of the driver to be aware of the speed he/she is travelling and knowing that these cars are that way should make it easier to stay on top of that instead of the other way around, you know what I mean?
When we had the LT1 Caprices, I ALWAYS had to keep an eye on the speedo cuz those things were MAJORLY smooth (especially at speed) and got up to 100 in the blink of an eye......took me several weeks to be able to keep that from occurring on a regular basis when not required/needed.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Tech Addict

Hey Johnny Law, aren't you retired and bitching about everything?

Here's another one for ya. Low and behold, it was end of the month quota time last weekend. All I saw was cops out en masse everywhere I went, trying to get their numbers up for that "free dozen" card for Krispy Kreme!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
Hey Johnny Law, aren't you retired and bitching about everything?

Here's another one for ya. Low and behold, it was end of the month quota time last weekend. All I saw was cops out en masse everywhere I went, trying to get their numbers up for that "free dozen" card for Krispy Kreme!
It's a Baker's Dozen, get it right.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Rottluver
It's a Baker's Dozen, get it right.
you know I wouldn't miss a chance to give our local retired LEO a hard time!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were smart enough to work the Google Map I could show you the stretch of area that I passed the car but I can't figure it out really. The passing section is roughly 3/10 of a mile (or 1584 ft). The area that I had pass the person I would estimate was probably close to 500ft or so into it, reason for not passing sooner was because of traffic, hey I'm young but not stupid like these other Fast and Furious kids! From the data and math I can gather it took me roughly 4 - 5 seconds to move around this person so it would probably land me right at the end of the passing area comfortably.

Suppose I will just go and explain the situation to the Judge and point out the laws. If the cop can recall he did infact have to get behind the same car I did just to get to me, which I was stopped before he was even turned completely around.

On a side note, the last few days I have watched my speed, and at the same time have watched my speed vary in the gears, and one thing is for sure, it really doesn't take much to get these moving stock, I am use to haveing to give the GTP 3/4 of the pedal to get it to downshift and move!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 PM
Teching In

Ok. So what did the police officer use to determine your speed? Pace/Radar/Laser?
Old 08-01-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Said he clocked me. From my understanding, have to be stationary for Laser to work and don't think he could pace me with me going the opposite direction.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Rokko
you know I wouldn't miss a chance to give our local retired LEO a hard time!
I woldn't expect anything less from you.

Originally Posted by Rawr256
Said he clocked me. From my understanding, have to be stationary for Laser to work and don't think he could pace me with me going the opposite direction.
I think I have said this in another thread, but to obtain my radar operator certification, we had to be able to visually estimate speeds (correctly) within 2 MPH +- on over 30+ cars while stationary and while moving (each), at cars both coming & going..........but if he "clocked" you, that sounds more like radar.

Dunno about Laser, my Depts were too cheap to buy many of them and I got out of traffic b4 they were in common use.

Quick Reply: Speeding Ticket...