Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wyoming

We are looking to move out there next year and would like some feedback...we have a cousin there and I have been there to visit but not to live. My wife has never been there and neither have the kids.

Is Douglas the only dragstrip in the state?

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

anybody?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Douglas? What state and where are you talking about?
That would help a bit, not sure if its Oregon or Washington or the Dakotas you are thinking of moving to (this section is a bit geographically challenged).
Old 08-22-2006, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Douglas is the only track that I'm familiar with in Wyoming. Their maybe some others but more than likely not. Just a lot of sagebrush. What part of Wyoming are you moving to?
Old 08-22-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Veteran

↑ proves the point - if it doesn't make it in the post (city, state) then its tough to know what to tell you.
There may have been a few Wyoming folks pass through this forum but not many and not often - google for information on a local board to where you are moving?
Old 08-22-2006, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GEARHED
↑ proves the point - if it doesn't make it in the post (city, state) then its tough to know what to tell you.
There may have been a few Wyoming folks pass through this forum but not many and not often - google for information on a local board to where you are moving?
The name of the Thread is Wyoming

All I know about that State is that it has Beautiful Mountains and has Really bad potholes in places but it's been a few years since I've been through there so the potholes could be fixed by now...
Old 08-22-2006, 08:46 PM
TECH Regular

The only strip is at Douglas. What part of the state are you moving to? If the northern part, most people go to Acton, Mt. above Billings to run. Not a whole lot of 4th gens around here. Winters are a little different from Florida.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

We have family in Lander but also looking into Cheyenne...Looking at the jobs in the area. I am a geologist so I have to go where the jobs are at. I am building a 73 camaro drag car and need a place to run it

I have been in Colorado but never there and it looks like a nice palce to live. Florida is just getting too insane. Lived here all our lives and its time to go.

Thanks!
Mike
Old 08-22-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Be prepared to throttle back about 50% on the stress level.I know I did when we came from Wa. Don't miss the crowds and traffic at all. Jay
Old 08-23-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

That is what we are looking for...less traffic, less hassle, and a place to watch our kids grow up and not have to worry about all the BS.
Old 08-23-2006, 07:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 1BAD95Z
The name of the Thread is Wyoming

All I know about that State is that it has Beautiful Mountains and has Really bad potholes in places but it's been a few years since I've been through there so the potholes could be fixed by now...

Noticed that after posting...d'oh!

As for being a geologist, I've a friend that lives here (Seattle) and travels there and Colorado constantly. No family yet but he says when that happens he's moving out there - far less expensive and less hectic. Apparently there are some good schools in the Cheyenne area though he and his wife have found more homeschools there than most places. He just isn't ready to get snowed in for winters yet, big change from tropical storms in the winters.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

Yeah

the homeowners insurance is astronomical!!! Many of them are dropping customes too so its scary. I don't mind the snow and my wife was stationed in Germany for three years so it shouldnt be too bad. We are looking at building a house on some land there so I just need to make sure we have enough food, firewood, and all the electrogadgets for when we do get snowed in.

I work for the government (local) here so I am looking at moving up to their state level government out there or whatever I can find that I am not out of town for long periods. I already went through that and we are expecting twing near the end of the year so I need to stay close to home.

Need to look into the schools also. Our cousin is a principal out there in Lander. She loves it and the system in Florida sucks!

Also thinking of opening my own automotive business out there but not sure how I would fare. I believe in being fair and good customer service so I dont think it would be too bad.

We shall see.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Wheatland most of the year. It's about about an hour north of Cheyenne. Douglas is the only strip in WY, but if you move to Cheyenne, your 3 hour from Bandimere Speedway in Denver CO and there's a strip in Jewelsburg CO that's about 1 1/2 hours from Cheyenne (Douglas is 2 hours). There is also a 1/4 paved oval track in Cheyenne which is where I did most of my stock car racing. One thing that sucks is this is high country. Cheyenne is about 6000ft while Douglas is about 4200. Jewelsburg is about 3400 I think, and Denver is well, a mile high Altitude really put a hurtin on performance, probable loose about 10-15%. Lets just say on low boost, (7psi) I can run 13.8's and.9's at sea-level, but the one time I made it up to Douglas this summer I could only get to a 14.7. That's why I have the turbo, I make my own atmosphere, just need to turn up the boost!

It's a nice area, but you had better like the wind, it blow like hell out here at times. There's not much crime compared to some places, lets just say I don't think my parents could find the keys to lock there house if they had to . But Wheatland is a small town (3600 peps). Cheyenne is nice (60,000 peps I think now), and its only 50 mins to better shopping in Ft. Collins and about 1 hour 45 to Denver. Let me knowif you need any more info on the Cheyenne/Wheatland area, I grow up here.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the heads-up on the Wheatland/Cheyenne area. I will keep it in mind. I have gone ahead and started submitting application to the State, so hopefully I will receive an email or phone call. We have to get the house sold as well as it is on the market but it too has been on a downhill trend.

I am glad there are places to run out there...a couple of hours isnt too bad to drive as long as the traffic isnt bad. Here its horrible. Not running any nitrous or turbo set-up so I just need to rejet the carb and set some timing and will be fine. Humidity is like 10000% here so it will be a change.

Our cousin said it can get windy out there so I guess I need to make sure my skin doesnt fall off...hahaha! Once I can find work, get the house sold, and get our twin girls delivered, we should be on our way....its just a time issue now.

Thanks again!
Mike
Old 08-25-2006, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikes98z

I am glad there are places to run out there...a couple of hours isnt too bad to drive as long as the traffic isnt bad.
Thanks again!
Mike
Traffic? Whats that? Seriously, there is no traffic in WY to speak of. If you go down to the Denver area, it's more like big city traffic, but norther CO and WY, there's pretty much nothing. If you want to go some where, just jump on the interstate and set the cruise on 80 and go (SL is 75 on interstates, and 65 on the highways) Good luck with the move!
Old 08-26-2006, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

wind???? hahaha!!! Try a hurricane or two....pretty wild to see a roof fly by....hehe Thanks again for the heads up....hopefully we will get out of here soon.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 PM
On The Tree

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but I too am from Wyoming and was searching to see if there were any other members here

As far as I can tell, i'm the only member from Cheyenne, if you have any questions about the city PM me

and sorry, no track here
Old 10-31-2006, 09:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

had a brother that lived in lakeland, you will love wyoming, moved here 7 years ago from western ny and never looked back, dont miss the traffic, crowds, or taxes / get some hobbys, horses/snowmobiles/atv's/fishing/hunting also a strip in billings MT, ps figured out the wyoming thing with no problem
Old 11-05-2006, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

I might be up that way in the beginning of '07. I have been lurking on here to see if there is any other F-bodys in the area. I will be working at F.E. Warren, civil service. Right Now I am at Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.

Dave

Quick Reply: Wyoming