Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Boyce, got a tire question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006 | 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Default Boyce, got a tire question.

I have started getting into lapping days, and was wondering what kind of tire you would recomend. These tires will be going on a light weight set of wheels, which i could also use some help on picking them out. I know what kind of wheels i would use if I was building a drag car but this roundi round stuff is all new to me. Keep in mind that the car is a 3700lb audi 4 door quatro.

I started going to school monday, and just finished with three free laping days wed-fri, and i got to say this is more fun than drag racing. just looking for some advice from someone who does this sort of stuff. Any help you could give me would be great.
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Really depends on how hard you want to push the car. If you want to run full tilt, youre going to want an "R" compund tire. If you can find a Hoosier R3SO3, thats the big dog. But you will only get 4-5 hard lap days out of a set. But you have to be a pretty serious driver that is going to be running the car at 10/10. Most people until they more stick time run at about 7/10 and think they are at 10/10.

Another good tire is the Toyo RA1 if you shave it. Thats the tire that they run on the vettes and vipers in the world challenge speed GT series and those cars are pulling some serious G's in the corners.

When it comes to wheels make sure it is a STRONG wheel. Light wheels are great for lowering the rotating mass however you are heating those wheels like you wouldnt believe. go ahead and try to touch the wheel after a 20 minute sesion. You'll get 3rd degree burns. That much heat will wear on the wheels and if you have light wheels, lots of heat and big time side load pressures, its a recipe for disaster. I would seriously look into a CCW, Fikse or BBS race wheel.

Hope this kind of gets you pointed in the right direction.
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:25 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks for the advice boyce, I am pushing the car pretty hard or at least i think i am. The all wheel drive thing is harder to get used to than i thought, Evrything I thought i knew about driving changed going from rear wheel drive to all wheel drive. Most of the guys this week were running bbs, but they are so expensive it's crazy, but i guess they are one of the best. I will start looking at wheels tommorow but first thing is some coil overs, and some new seats, the stock ones just dont cut it.
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Throw in a roll bar and a 5pt harness as well if you can fund it. You wond believe how much more in control of the car you feel with a 5pt holding you in.
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:56 PM
10 Second Club

I thought about that but then i will go down the same path I was on with the t/a, i would like to keep the interior intact on this car
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Throw in a roll bar and a 5pt harness as well if you can fund it. You wond believe how much more in control of the car you feel with a 5pt holding you in.
Just the fixed back seat will do wonders.. I have a Sparco Pro2000 in one of mine and it is amazing the difference in your ability to stay in control when you are held tight to your seat. But if you are over 180lbs or so (and I know you are) then the Pro2000 would be a bad choice because it is for skinny people. If you are serious about it, get a fixed back the first time because any folding seat just will not compare.

Oh and also, in the grand scheme of things, Fikse wheels are not that expensive for a world known proven racing wheel. Plus you are supporting a local company.. For us anyways (Kent).
Old 09-08-2006 | 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

You would be suprised how well you could fit a nice roll bar in one of those cars. There are a few of them running around here with what you would almost call a cage and they dont hamper getting in and out at all. The only reason I suggest it is if you are really pushing the car and have an off track excursion, there is a good chance you'll end up on your lid if a tire grabs a lip.
Old 09-08-2006 | 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

i will have to look into a cage. I have found pics of people putting them into the older a4's but not a 2006. I will defenatly consider one, just fro that peice of mind. I will probely have to find someone local and have them build and install it.

i know hey are all not that expensive when you look at the quality of the wheel you get. I just need to get the motor and suspension set up then get some more experince, then look at getting a high doller w/t set up. I really like the looks of the bbs wheels, but have yet to go to the ccw site or the fiske site. But you know me whatever I get it will be the best I can afford.
Old 09-08-2006 | 11:42 PM
TECH Regular

so far seat time was the best "mod" for me. the second best mod were the tires. I had to have a set I can use to drive "to" the track, hard to stuff 4 wheels into a vette and I am NOT putting a hitch on this thing i settled on Nittos NT01s

seats are definitely on my list, I get really tired from trying to hold myself in place throught the session, stock vette seats are crap for lapping.

another thing to consider is brake upgrade - lines, pads, rotors, whatever gives you most bang on the audis.

i've seen few S4's run, they seem to have a lot of understeer, something to watch out for.

another thing I noticed was that 4wd cars seem to really put the hurting on the front tires, so you might want to make sure you have alignment and tire pressures dialed in right to minimize the damage.
Old 09-09-2006 | 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

One little tidbit I've picked up is that for lapping you don't want a low profile tire. If you're getting custom rims, get them just big enough to fit over your brake setup, then use any gained space to increase the sidewall of the tire. It allows the tire to absorb a lot more energy and still grip. Just look at all the race wheel/tire setups, small wheel, thick tire.
Old 09-09-2006 | 08:55 AM
10 Second Club

Definitely try to get a 5 pt in there somehow Jason (even if that means a bar). The difference between taking a corner in a lap belt & a 5 pt is like launching at 7K on street tires vs slicks. The major benefit (besides safety) is you can now steer with the steering wheek instead of using it to hold yourself in place.
Old 09-09-2006 | 10:03 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by sardog46
I thought about that but then i will go down the same path I was on with the t/a, i would like to keep the interior intact on this car

Keep us posted on your progress

Good to hear from you.
Old 09-09-2006 | 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for all the advice guys. this is a new thing for me and I really love it so far. As for the path of mods it will go something like this Chip-intake-downpipe-exhaust-suspension-wheels/tires-cage..maybee if i can find someone who can do it.

when all the motor stuff is done i am hoping for about 350hp/400lbft at all 4 wheels. then if I want to get serius the turbo upgrade will put me well over 400hp 500lbft at all 4 wheels then it will be time to adress the drive train. this turbo thing is pretty cool as far as what you can get out of this thing for power. Motor is already forged internals 9.5-1 out of the factory
Old 09-09-2006 | 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the RA1's and have a little over 200miles track time on them. I wish I would have had them shaved first. Second, you want to try to keep them at about 40psi when HOT. This is something that will require some trial and error to find out what psi to start out for your car. Just keep monitoring everytime to come off the track and let some out if need be. I also recommend that you do not use the same tires for daily driving afterward because they are noisey as hell after a track event on the streets. One last piece of advice. Be prepared for them to feel a little wabbly at the beginning if unshaved. The sidewall flex is more that the standard low profile radial. But they stick in the corners where the street tires will slide. Once I got use to the difference I really cut my lap times down for this being the only change.
Old 09-09-2006 | 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

So, please tells us how you like this compared to drag racing??? Inquiring minds what to know!
Old 09-09-2006 | 07:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ram-it
So, please tells us how you like this compared to drag racing??? Inquiring minds what to know!
Whats up Eric long time no see. Hows the family? And also the vette.

Much better, It last alot longer. drag racing was run 10 seconds wait in line for 2-3 hours run 10 seconds.

Today I found a bmw race car shop that has the hoosiers by the ton, in just about every size, now just have to find a wheel for them to go on.
After doing alot of reserch I really like the look of the ccw wheels

I will try to keep you guys up to date on the new racing adventure