Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Where to get tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Where to get tires?

Well the TA is finally to the point of when I am on the pedal WOT in 1st they just break loose without really trying. My rear tires are just about to the wear bars, knew they were getting bad but the last time I went to the track with it must have used up what little was left on them.

There a place you all get your tires from specifically? The ones on them currently are some Bridgestone tires and I went to a dealer for those and they said just for the rear two Z rated and best traction would be about $210 give or take a few bucks, so for all four I would imagine probably in the mid 400's range. I went to schwabs and had them quote me and for some Zexius (never really heard of them) with all the balance/alignment/blah blah blah it is $520 for those.

I am getting ready to put the car away for the winter and when I have it running around again in a few months I just want to be able to drive it, not have to think about buying new tires first thing. The last tires I bought for my GTP I got at schwabs and it cost me $650 for some good Toyo tires! First set of tires I ever bought so I guess it could be a normal price though!

Anyone have any suggestions of places to check out? I don't want something cheap that wont last, but I don't need Ferarri tires either! Would only plan on running them a few times at the track during the year, probably 6 times seperately tops and want something that will grab nice on the road so I can have a little fun on the way home on the river road!

Remember I am on the east side of the mountain from most of you, but if anyone might have some old tires they had to take off because of upgrading the rims I would consider buying them and haveing them mounted as well!

Still running on my stock non-WS6 rims.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a set of Zexius tires from schwab with about 800 miles on them. If interested lemme know, they are 245/50/ZR16. They are however on the stock wheels that the trans am non WS-6 the silver glittery 5 spoke ones with the slight twist to each spoke.
Chris
Old 10-12-2006, 01:32 AM
TECH Veteran

I went to a Firestone store and bought the Bridgestone Fuzion ZRi's. They're actually pretty good tires as far as street tires go... I've been happy with them on my Corvette.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Could always try the Tire Rack.......smokin deals (on most things) and they ship out of Reno or Vegas IIRC.

I use the Sumitomo HTR Z's for the street....not worth a damn at the track but since I almost never go there, it doesn't matter to me. And just for reference, the 275/40ZR17's are $88/each.

$68 for the 245/50R-16's and Kuhmo has 2 diff tires in that size even cheaper ($50 & 60 each).
Old 10-12-2006, 10:46 AM
TECH Addict

I bought my Goodyear Eagle F1GS-D3's from Discount Tire. They are a site sponsor and gave me a heck of a good deal when I went in 2 years back. The tires still have good tread on them, which is surprising because they are made with pretty soft rubber. They have a stiff sidewall for better handling in the corners (yes, you can tell the difference over the stock GS's) and they keep traction in the wettest of driving conditions.
Old 10-12-2006, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Will have to check with discount tire and see if there is a deal that can be worked out or something. Talked to the wife about the Zexius tires and I got a pretty dirty look!

Might just have to save up over winter and get the treads after the car comes out of storage, still have to buy everyone their christmas presents and need to invest in a good bra for my grand prix so the new bumper doesn't get destroyed by rocks/sand.

You got PM Chris!
Old 10-12-2006, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

if you're in the Bremerton area,

talk to Kyle or James at the E-Brem Discount tyre.

they are the assistant managers,
tell them Russ with the GTO sent you.

you won't have to shop around for the best deal.

but if you do your resurch
any discount tyre will beat anyone elses prices (if you include mounting balancing, shipping ect...)

Russ