Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

STS turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS turbo

Does any body have the STS turbo? I what do u think? I am thinking about going turbo on my car. I am stock can i get some tips.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

If you are stock and looking to start modding you need to know what your goals for the car are. Are you looking to show it, take it down the quarter mile, road course, Pony Express, daily driver with some go fast goodies, etc.?

There are one or two guys on here with the STS turbo.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

I don't like the idea of the Turbo being left under the rear of the care exposed to the elements. That is just my opinion and they are performing well at the track and as far as hp numbers go. But with the amount of rain we get I can only see bad things.

There are so many turbo kits out there I would look for something else. I don't have a turbo and I'm not speaking from experience, just opinion.

So take it for what its worth.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Regular

start with a forged shortblock. then go for the turbo. I did it backwards and its been hell. after 2 stock engines and tons of headaches later Im finally going forged and I cant wait. also save up and do it right IE: get all the options that arent included in the kit for both safety and upgradability. the reason I dont even ask what your intentions are with the car is I started off saying I wasnt going to mod my current car then I said I will just do the suspension then I ended up with the STS before I even picked up the car. then the rest is history. its too adicting to stop when you have the capabillity to have more so I say if you are seriously considering do it right from the start. just my experience and advice.

~Guy
Old 01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Regular

the STS is simple and is fairly cost effective far as forced air goes but just be ready to deal with issues and make sure to use the air filter sock and shield at the same time. no exceptions.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
make sure to use the air filter sock and shield at the same time. no exceptions.
That was one of my main issues with it. The other is no intercooler but thats something that can be added. Otherwise it does seem to make decent numbers when tuned right.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Addict

Fastest IRS C5 has a rear turbo I think, 8.600
Old 01-28-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Regular

I dont know if major spray is IRS but he ran a 7.6 I believe with a 427 C5R motor with a single rear turbo. and also I would get the piping for the intercooler from STS but dont buy their intercooler they want WAY too much. go to Ebay and shop around there are companies that sell brand new inexpensive ones just make sure to get one of the bigger ones. I am going with their 700HP one for now then I may upgrade to the 1000hp one when I turn up the boost to somewhere around 14PSI. Also the negative thing about their tune is you cant adjust or even read it later so if you want to upgrade you have to wait for a new computer and pay more for it so you may want to have it custom tuned. ~Guy
Old 01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Launching!

thanks
for the advice. So what do uthink I should start with
I have a true duel magnaflow exhaust at my house but have not put it on yet
Old 01-29-2007, 06:29 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TTi street kit. You won't be sorry. Have one on mine, about 11k miles on it, 52k on stock bottom end, 492rwhp, I'll never look back. No troubles whatsoever. Just took it on a 4500 mile road trip back east, averaged around 23mpg overall, and there was a lot of playing involved. Tried and true. Plus the sts looks ugly with all that crap hanging underneath it.

Brian
Old 01-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
TTi street kit. You won't be sorry.
I agree, and they are local so you can solve any problem with no waiting and no shipping!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris Stewart
I agree, and they are local so you can solve any problem with no waiting and no shipping!
How much is the Vette kit you have? And didn't you install the kit yourself?
Old 01-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Launching!

Check the "Turbo Systems" page at this TTi link. I paid retail for my X kit, but now they offer a "Lite" kit for 6,995!

Turbo Technonogy

Yeah I installed it myself on ramps and a creeper! Next time I would let the shop do it...
Old 01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Check the "Turbo Systems" page at this TTi link. I paid retail for my X kit, but now they offer a "Lite" kit for 6,995!

Turbo Technonogy

Yeah I installed it myself on ramps and a creeper! Next time I would let the shop do it...
Why would you let them install it? Was it hard to do? How much would they charge to install in?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00Vette
Why would you let them install it? Was it hard to do? How much would they charge to install in?
Yeah it was a difficult job in my book. Mainly because it's alot of parts in a tight package for the vette, and they know all the tricks to putting things in. For a 1st timer, you have to figure things out as you go. The end result, I am very happy and loving the turbo boost! Can you believe my stock clutch is still holding up?
Old 01-29-2007, 08:20 PM
Launching!

Oh yeah I asked a ballpark and I think they said 2K for install. It's a good deal after it's all said and done. You thinkin of going to the darkside?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Oh yeah I asked a ballpark and I think they said 2K for install. It's a good deal after it's all said and done. You thinkin of going to the darkside?
I don't have the money now, but once my wife starts working I want to build a forged motor and add a power adder of some sort. I was thinking nitrous for a while because its inexpensive and you get so much out of it. But all the fastest cars are turbo cars. I don't need an 8 second car or anything.........just a forged motor with a nice turbo or health dose of nitrous.

I'm still up in the air and 10 grand for a motor then 10 grand for a turbo sounds pretty steep! It'll cost me at least 10 grand to build a good forged motor and I still have debt to pay off. We'll see how things go when we get to that point.

It sure would be nice though.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Launching!

thanks for the tips. So what are the pros and cons about the turbo in rear instead of up by the motor?

Quick Reply: STS turbo