Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Clutch Selection.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Textralia OZ700SB (steel billet flywheel) has been given me some issues as of late with a severe shudder in 1st and a metallic screech (like truck brakes). After pulling the tranny out I see the flywheel has way too much wear for just a few thousand miles.

I've had this clutch just over a year, but Pete from Textralia has responded very quickly, has been helping me out and is calling me back to talk on his dime.

99% of other owners never have experienced an issue (and it has been working great for me as well, never slipping even a little bit), but it's nice to know if you do run into a problem, this company is quick to respond and help out as well as standing behind their product!

To me it sounds like the exo-skel may be a bit of overkill, but there's nothing wrong with that!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SeaHawk
My Textralia OZ700SB (steel billet flywheel) has been given me some issues as of late with a severe shudder in 1st and a metallic screech (like truck brakes). After pulling the tranny out I see the flywheel has way too much wear for just a few thousand miles.

I've had this clutch just over a year, but Pete from Textralia has responded very quickly, has been helping me out and is calling me back to talk on his dime.

99% of other owners never have experienced an issue (and it has been working great for me as well, never slipping even a little bit), but it's nice to know if you do run into a problem, this company is quick to respond and help out as well as standing behind their product!

To me it sounds like the exo-skel may be a bit of overkill, but there's nothing wrong with that!
Tell Peter that you have a race against Robert56 from the forum, and you want yours to work like his. Best customer service out there, bar no other company.
Robert
Old 04-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Everyone keeps telling the same thing. Textralia. Thats what I am gong with. I was this close to buying an LS7 clutch. But I decided to check the forums before I did it. Now I am just waiting for my car to get here.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I never liked my Tex. It chattered far to much and didnt give the feel the twin does. It lasted abou 24k miles and was almost as much the mcleod. There is a big difference between the way these two clutches grab. Those who think the Tex is the end all might not have used the Mcleod. Having used both I feel the Mcleod is the better of the two. I always had suspicions of Tex slipping and the chatter was embarassing at traffic lights. But I dont have those issues with the Mcleod. You Know its not slipping when you use it. You can just feel the difference. I got my tex thru a+a vettes when they were a sponsor here.

My car is a lot heavier than a vette, maybe that has soemthing to do with it maybe not. Maybe you'll have a lot better luck than I did. I wasnt expecting to replace the clutch as quick as I did. It only had a dozen or so launches on it. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

I had some issues at the end of last race season when I did a burnout in the burnout box with no water. My mcleod twin disc pretty much completely crapped out on me by the end of the season. I had it rebuilt (which most can't) and Ellis installed it. The car has ran fine since till Friday when I cut my 1.66 60ft the car had a bad burnt clutch smell.

But smell set asside, It was my best run ever and the car had no issues during or after the run. I didn't stage and run the strip after that, but I let if cool off and drove it home with out a single issue. My opinion will be cinched after this season of racing. If it does well the entire season........I'll stick with them forever.

IMO, clutches are hit and miss. I've had a spec 3, C5 Z06 clutch, and a centerforce dual friction before this mcleod and the mcleod "SO FAR", has been the best. But its also rated at 1200hp. None the less, my opinion is still building on the Mcleod. Fridays burnt smell after an 550rwhp car ripped into it, isn't building well for me at this point. Lets hope it can handle more 1.6X launches huh??
Old 04-25-2007, 01:40 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And let me make it clear I wasnt dissing Robert(or anyone in the NW). I'm sure he's used a bunch of clutches and knows what's working best for him.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
And let me make it clear I wasnt dissing Robert(or anyone in the NW). I'm sure he's used a bunch of clutches and knows what's working best for him.
I didn't read it that way, and I was just sharing my experiences.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

BTW TWin Disks are so bad......

Everyone is starting to come out with them
Old 04-28-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I actually ordered the LS7, then changed my order for the Textralia OZ700 after doing some reading on here and corvette forum...its sitting in my garage right now though. I did install one the other day in a buddy's GTO that will be Twin Turbo'ed here shortly

Quick Reply: Clutch Selection.