Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Craigs list Scam!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Craigs list Scam!!!

Well I put my 89 Cherokee up for sale on craigslist. And I got a reply from a guy last friday. Asking general questions about the Jeep, IE miles, condition, does it run. You know the usual. Well I emailed him back and told him all he wanted to know. So he emails me back with an offer only 150 below what I was asking witch is fine. I would probibly take that no prob. Well when he offered me the money he also wrote this along with it. Straight from the horses mouth,

What is the name and address that the US Money order should be made out to?

I am located at MN. I would like to have your phone # just incase I need to call you, pls.
Also attach photos of the engine and the interior, I want to have a final look.

I await your response.

Lino Brown
NB: A US Money order that is cashable the same day would be mailed to you as payment , so when you get payment you cash it and send any excess to my shipper based in New Jersey, which would be meant for shipping. as soon is the shipper's get the funds will set up a pick-up date and time. I do not have the final quote from the shippers yet, but as soon as I have it I will let you know or better still it will be included in the payment to you.

So before I sent him my info, I sent him this

Well to begin with that is a very good offer.. I will take it. But I have a few questions. Before sending you my mailing address, Please call me at 360-649-8137. And or send me your number so I can call you.

You say you live in MN. So what do you have planned? Do you plan on having a shipping company coming and pick it up? Sighton seen? And will the money order be here prior to the vehicle being picked up? And if you are very seriouse about it then I will send you picks once you call me or I get a number to cotact you.

Thanks

Lane

And this is what he sent back to me

Ok, I will await the photos asap, I would also be waiting for the name and address that the payment (US Money order cashable at your bank also or a cashier's check should be made out to?).

As you are already aware all you are required to do here is to cash your payment, deduct $1850 for the vehicle and send to the shipper's their funds which wil be included in the payment you will be getting. You are not going to have to look for one and you do not have to leave your place. On the pick-up date and time that will be communiated to you in advance, you would only try to make time out to meet with the shipper and hold over the vehicle and keys to the shipper's that all okay!

Regards,

Lino
612 241 9993

So from what I gather, is this. He sends you a bogus money order For a large amount, you cash it under your name and banking info, and in the mean time you send the remander of the money to the address he provides. For the shipping. Well before to long the bank gets back to you that the check is no good and that you owe them the money that you had cashed the check for..

So watch out guys. I would hate to see someone fall for this and get screwed.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definatly sounds shady. Plus, why would you buy a 89 Cherokee in WA when you live in MN? They're a dime a dozen, and shipping would no doubt kill any kind of deal you got on it.

Good luck on selling it for real. Hey, have you posted it on the NAXJA.org website? I go there and people are often looking for new rigs.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

I just got done sending him a Nasty Gram back, this is what I wrote him.

Sorry man, But I am going to pass on this. Why would you want to pay shipping on a vehicle for that price. When you live in MN, and jeeps are a dime a dozen. Just does not make any cents. And you sending me a money order for over the asking price so I can send the remaining money to the so called shipping company. Yeah sounds like a not to funny scandal. Quiet being a retard and stealing peoples money and actually work a 9 to 5 job. You ****** Low life.

Lane

So hopefully I won't be bothered by this guy anymore. I just hate tire kickers, especially if they are scammers. Those are the worst.

Lane
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahahahha, I had a similar thing. Selling our refridge. Woman in NJ wanted it for her daughter in CA.

My mode of payment will be via electronic cashier check. Echeck is simple, secured, fast and it is setup to eliminate the stress of putting check in mail for days. Check gets to your email in seconds.All you need to do is to get a business check paper for $20. Once you have the business check paper i will send the electronic check to your email for printing. You can then print and proceed to clear and cash the check at your bank. The cost of procuring the check paper will be added to the asking price.

So anyone think I'll be able to cash the check?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:00 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That is TOTALLY a scam.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Launching!

It's called the Nigerian Scam. Search google. Old scam.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old scam had it happen to me on e-bay some one wanted to buy my bike. Lots of dishonest people out there.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any sort of deal where they want you to take some sort of over payment and send them the excess money is a scam.

The other giveaway is when they are somewhere FAR away from you, if they were maybe over in ID it would be possible to make an arraingement for a meeting and swapping goods and cash.

Most times they are out of the states when they do this stuff, ie the nickname of the "Nigerian Scam." Feds wont try to chase anyone outside of our borders over money, unless it is over a 10k loss IIRC.

Can have them call you and can most often see it is an international number.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup they want your money and your car
Old 07-16-2007, 10:31 PM
12 Second Club

old scam, **** them
Old 07-16-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Regular

I only get about a dozen calls a day from people that fall for this or very similar scams.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think there is a week that goes buy with my car parts I have for sale that i dont get a email that is along the lines of

Please ship me full payment information, name, Address & phone number on the AUTOPARTS you have for sale.

my shipper will be by to pick up & drop off payment.

Normally on those I just hit delete
Old 07-17-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by krazzycowgirl
I dont think there is a week that goes buy with my car parts I have for sale that i dont get a email that is along the lines of

Please ship me full payment information, name, Address & phone number on the AUTOPARTS you have for sale.

my shipper will be by to pick up & drop off payment.

Normally on those I just hit delete
I was getting those same emails for a stray dog I was getting rid of.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Well a few days have gone by, And I still have not gotten any response from him, after sending that email. Lol. Pretty funny I suppose, but to the poor people that fall for it, thats really sad.

Lane
Old 07-19-2007, 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually just bait them into sending me hilarious pictures telling me they love the Guch or want to work with **** computers...if you want a really good laugh check out thescambaiters.com. Those guys have have it down to an art of ******* with scammers.

Marty
Old 07-21-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

That's called the over-payment scam. You would owe your own bank for the money you sent the 'shipping company' (actually the scammer), when the money order turns out to be no good. If you are lucky and haven't spent any of the rest of the money yet it will just be cancelled out of your account. Any of this fictional money you spent, you will also have to pay back. You'll still have your Jeep because he was never interested in it and no shipping company was coming to get it.

But now you HAVE to sell it to pay back your bank.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you guys would get a kick out of this.
This is my Craigslist ad for a set of rims & tires I have.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/pts/380010576.html

This is the email I got today.
Please get back to me if this ad is still available for sale. I prefer it to others i
have seen and i would like to know the firm price without shipment .I would be picking up from your location. Please include your phone number in your reply and when to call you.

Let me know today or soonest.
Thanks

This was my reply. lol
If you have read the ad you would have known that its $300 Cash (no checks, no money orders) along with my phone number.
have a nice day.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:17 PM
11 Second Club

lol. nice
Old 07-23-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

lol got the same scam tried on me twice, once for a car and once for a lazyboy. there is a huge article about it on craigslist and gives examples etc. ~Guy
Old 07-27-2007, 01:43 PM
On The Tree

had the same basic scam attempt on a no-title parts car RX7 that's somewhat stripped,(i'm asking a whopping $75) I told him to send the money order to his shipper, have them cash it and bring me the extra. no money orders or other BS will be accepted.

Quick Reply: Craigs list Scam!!!