Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Running Rough and Backfiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Running Rough and Backfiring

My buddy has a 95 V6 firebird and he has been having issues with it running really rough and backfiring on acceleration. I told him to look in to O2 sensors and replace the plug wires and plugs. He took into a couple of shop and they gave him various answers. One said timing chain and I was wondering if that is possible? Or could it be that his coil packs are crapping out on him?
Old 07-25-2007, 09:28 AM
11 Second Club

Does a 95 have coil packs? Or is it an opti-spark? Or does opti only run on the LT1's and not on the V-6's.

Lane
Old 07-25-2007, 09:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Those cars are real tempermental about injecters. We had to clean the injecters in Stephs V6 at 78K miles. They can be real decieving when trying to diagnos

I had replaced plugs and wires along with two coil packs. Two cylinders where wet and two were dry so it made sense. Then I had my Buddy Sonic clean and flow test the injecters. We found two that were not to bad, two that were half way clogged and two the were not flowing anything at all!

They all cleaned up great. Stuffed them back in the car and it ran better then it ever did...until the fuel pump died

BTW after doing the injecters we got over 26 MPG in town and 34+ on the hiway
Old 07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tell him to floor it and run the crap outta it a few times, might help clean it up some...that's how I fix things, haven't blown a motor up yet...almost, but not quite
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by silverbullet02
Tell him to floor it and run the crap outta it a few times, might help clean it up some...that's how I fix things, haven't blown a motor up yet...almost, but not quite
I tried that with my car but it didn't help, it only seemed to make it worse It felt like I was driving a new car after getting the injectors cleaned.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
Those cars are real tempermental about injecters. We had to clean the injecters in Stephs V6 at 78K miles. They can be real decieving when trying to diagnos

I had replaced plugs and wires along with two coil packs. Two cylinders where wet and two were dry so it made sense. Then I had my Buddy Sonic clean and flow test the injecters. We found two that were not to bad, two that were half way clogged and two the were not flowing anything at all!

They all cleaned up great. Stuffed them back in the car and it ran better then it ever did...until the fuel pump died

BTW after doing the injecters we got over 26 MPG in town and 34+ on the hiway
I remember that. Didn't you go through a couple sets of plugs in a week until you figured out it was the injectors. I wish I could hit that kind of MPG in the bird. It runs fine and I just did the plugs and wires but I'm lucky to see 20+ on the highway. Injectors were replaced with new when I did the engine swap so I'm pretty sure they're in good shape.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:52 AM
Tech Addict

Mine was doing that too and it was the fuel filter.

Quick Reply: Running Rough and Backfiring