Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

trans question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer
Well, Turbo GNs used beefed up versions of the TH200. I've seen several behind 500+ inch big blocks.
That's good news, but how "beefed up"?

For now, I think the trans is probably safe behind the 150 hp 305.

I am glad you chimed-in, Don. I want to improve performance a little so I was thinking of new heads: there are too many choices. I know that the inexpensive Vortec heads require a new intake and valve covers. On a bang-for-the-buck basis am I better off buying some aftermarket heads and sticking with the more common SBC configuration? I want a head that will help now and can still be used at a later date when I install a 350 or 383. Should I look for some old camel humps? I see that the chamber sizes on the various heads vary from 56cc to 76cc's. I think the 305 heads are 65cc and I do not know the stock compression. Recommendations will be appreciated. The car comes with a GM 4 bbl carb.

Last edited by esoteric; 09-13-2007 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by esoteric
That's good news, but how "beefed up"?

For now, I think the trans is probably safe behind the 150 hp 305.

I am glad you chimed-in, Dave. I want to improve performance a little so I was thinking of new heads: there are too many choices. I know that the inexpensive Vortec heads require a new intake and valve covers. On a bang-for-the-buck basis am I better off buying some aftermarket heads and sticking with the more common SBC configuration? I want a head that will help now and can still be used at a later date when I install a 350 or 383. Should I look for some old camel humps? I see that the chamber sizes on the various heads vary from 56cc to 76cc's. I think the 305 heads are 65cc and I do not know the stock compression. Recommendations will be appreciated. The car comes with a GM 4 bbl carb.
The problem you will encounter with the 305 is the small bore. Large valve heads won't fit inside the bore. There have been several recent magazine buildups of the 305 in the Chevy rags. I'll look and see if I can find a good one for you.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

The problem you will encounter with the 305 is the small bore. Large valve heads won't fit inside the bore. There have been several recent magazine buildups of the 305 in the Chevy rags. I'll look and see if I can find a good one for you.
Very kind of you, Don. I'll check them out at the news stand too. If you give it to me while I am with the FDT, be sure it's in a brown paper bag, or you could place it inside an old Playboy, you know, a magazine that is more socially acceptable.

Last edited by esoteric; 09-13-2007 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-13-2007, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by esoteric
Very kind of you, Dave. I'll check them out at the news stand too. If you give it to me while I am with the FDT, be sure it's in a brown paper bag, or you could place it inside an old Playboy, you know, a magazine that is more socially acceptable.
No problem Jeff

I found a link to the article I was thinking about..
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ons/index.html
Old 09-13-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

No problem Jeff

I found a link to the article I was thinking about..
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ons/index.html

Sorry, don't know what I was thinking, Don. Thanks for the info.

Oddly, my name is Jeff

Quick Reply: trans question