Sorry Chad was only trying to help

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sorry Chad was only trying to help

Here are some 408 results.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=408

Compare those with 600hp on an engine dyno and you'll see where I was coming from.

Engine dyno does not equal chassis dyno. There is an accepted standard for the drivetrain loss of 16-18%.

I was thinking you might be disappointed with your final numbers on the dyno.

I appologize for adding my opinion. It wasnt meant to hurt anyones feelings and start a damn war.

If you could see any of those cars in the 525+ range what would be the output on and engine dyno?
The torque isnt as good but you get the point.

Yes the L92 427 can be configured differently for more power. But we were looking at one specific engine and its output. It was a mild build, not my fault. I figured the guy was after something more.

Heres what I've done to my 99 Camaro SS.

I've had 2 engines built and gone through 3 different sets of heads and 3 different cams. Two rear ends and 3 sets of gears choices. Was only going to be cam only and a few bolt-ons when I started. I lost control and never stopped. I never intended 3 years ago to end up where I am now. I've worked with many vendors on this board and most of them have been good experiences but there are bad ones as well. I buy most of my parts from TSP and SDPC.

This is the last engine I will put in this Camaro I hope..lol. I've looked at and changed it a few different times. From and LSX off the shelf 451 to a custom LS7 based to the final decision of a RED sleeved LS2. The block alone took weeks to finalize. More information became available and I kept and open mind to it. The internals were basicaly an easy choice for me, callies and wiseco. Then the heads came into play and once again hours of looking at results and searching and asking quesitons. When I finally decide I'm waiting for ever for them ... weather has been nice.. I' driving a friggin Kia christ sakes. I want my car back! So now I'm opting for the original choice in heads just to get my car. Plus they seem to be a good choice and are smartly priced.

I've sold stuff and never had a complaint. I try and be honest with poeple, I think my trader rating and feedback proves it. My ebay account is no different.

If someone doesnt like me then ignore me. I dont attack people in this section unless I'm provoked. I dont bend and conform to others ways of thinking just to be popular. I'll respect your opinion if you respect mine, I give what I get.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember Chad ever saying he wanted XXX horsepower and you started in like the motor he posted wasn't good enough. Why keep talking about 600hp engine dyno like that's not a stout engine? I don't like that cause maybe it was all he could afford. You can't really configure a 402/408 for much less than that turnkey so I think it's not a bad route to go. Turns out it wasn't all he could afford. And then you said you need 4.125 bore to make 427 horsepower. So I wanted to step in and correct that.

It sounds like to me Chad is focused on the "fun factor" and not really caught up in numbers. Getting caught up in numbers costs you lots of money as you're finding out when maybe it's not what you need. A good healthy 402 or L92 based motor is about as cost effective as it gets. If you have more you can spend alot more to get a little more power, but to most a car with 500rwtq is more than they can use on the street.

And I think it's pretty unreasonable to think an engine has to be spec'd and purpose built after you call for it to be worth a shat. Sponsers put these engine packages together because people like them and use them, not to sell you an inferior part.

I don't see any relevancy with your feedback or ebay rating comment either. When did that come up?

But seriously, how about you let me help you set that car up so that wicked power gets put to good use? I would hate to see you wear the car out on the dyno.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:25 PM
11 Second Club

Old 02-27-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to add something, there is no "accepted standard" for percentage of losses, only benchracing numbers. I guarantee you the loss behind a heads/cam car versus 454cid motor will lose around the same horsepower, not percentage, if put behind the same drivetrain.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr.MartyStone
Just to add something, there is no "accepted standard" for percentage of losses, only benchracing numbers. I guarantee you the loss behind a heads/cam car versus 454cid motor will lose around the same horsepower, not percentage, if put behind the same drivetrain.
You confused me there. The loss is due to the drivetrain from the flywheel back is what I was saying. And it seems that 16-18% is what is said for an fbody. I did not make up the number that is what was told to me by SDPC when we we're looking at the 451 option. If it made 700hp on the engine what would that be in my car.

My car with its heavy clutch and rear and tires is more like a 20% loss..lol So if your looking at engine dyno numbers and want to figure what that means at the rear wheels you can roughly figure 17% loss. Its not exact but you do agree that you incure a loss from the flywheel BHP number to the RWHP number right? Thats what I'm talking about. You need to break it down some how and percentages are what is used. I didnt make it up.

I never said the loss was tied to the type of engine at all. Not sure where I confused you with what I was saying but I hope that clears it up a little.

jantzass your on the iggy list so dont even bother with me anymore. So is Manalish.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Launching!

Hey 99blanco,
I never got upset because you gave me an opinion. I was glad to hear what you had to say. I also listen to lots and lots of opinions but ultimately what I choose will me my choice and I will factor in bits and pieces from here or there.

If I don't agree with an opinion I will just disreguard it.

I don't know who is getting upset but it certainly isn't me.

So if anyone thinks i'm upset at them for whatever reason then....

I'm sorry.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Banned

No didnt think you were upset, your thread got a nasty and I felt I should appologize. I think most of it got edited out last night.

Last edited by GEARHED; 02-29-2008 at 02:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Sorry Chad was only trying to help