Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Completely unnerved here by a weird experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008 | 03:11 PM
On The Tree

GAWD!!!!! DON'T TRY TO SHOOT A BEAR WITH A SMALL CALIBER HAND GUN!!!
We had a friend who's son got chased by a bear while riding his bike. The kid got away and got a neighbor who walked back down the trail with his 300 Weatherby and killed the bear.
When the guy from fish and wildlife came and dressed the bear out on my friend
Don's front lawn they found 8 .38 special slugs along with 4 .22 long rifle and the three .300 Weatherby slugs that finally killed the bear.
The Bear only weighed 220 lbs......

True story, swear to God!!!
If you want to kill a bear with a .22, show it to him first and then he'll die laughing.

Seriously, hand gun, close range, a .454 Casull or a .50 Desert Eagle+ LUCK
Old 06-24-2008 | 03:41 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by dogtag
GAWD!!!!! DON'T TRY TO SHOOT A BEAR WITH A SMALL CALIBER HAND GUN!!!
We had a friend who's son got chased by a bear while riding his bike. The kid got away and got a neighbor who walked back down the trail with his 300 Weatherby and killed the bear.
When the guy from fish and wildlife came and dressed the bear out on my friend
Don's front lawn they found 8 .38 special slugs along with 4 .22 long rifle and the three .300 Weatherby slugs that finally killed the bear.
The Bear only weighed 220 lbs......

True story, swear to God!!!
If you want to kill a bear with a .22, show it to him first and then he'll die laughing.

Seriously, hand gun, close range, a .454 Casull or a .50 Desert Eagle+ LUCK
In Alaska where the Grizll' Bars are born 220 lbs. the handgun of choice is a bolt action .30-06!
Old 06-24-2008 | 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
**** happens inside of the city too. Just depends on what you are used to.

Much of it is in our minds but my guess is a bunch of guys that are used to the woods were playing with some guys that weren't. As a matter of fact, the whole modern Sasquatch things started the very same way.
Well, maybe.
But I do quite a bit of 4 wheelin around the hills here, like evens creek, the shoestrings and for elbe I have an artic cat 4x4 that I like to play with.
I am not a mountain man but I do know my way about the area.
I have never seen a bear outside of a zoo anywhere near as big as this.
And if you ever get the chance to see a bear walk upright, its one of the most awkward movements you'll ever see.
This thing walked as smoothly as I do.
I keep going back to the possibility that it was someone playing a prank, but again it dosn't seem likely.
It was not a weekend night. Except for the couple of people way below us at the bottom of a steep hill, no one else was around.
We were on a "spur", that was more then just a hop, skip and a jump up from the main road.
There are hundreds of these little cut off's in that area.
It was a dead end at the top where we parked with no intersecting roads up to it.
What are the odds of a couple of guys hiding out in a remote part of the wood's on a week night, on the one spur out of a hundred where the only moving vehicle in the area drives up on?
Old 06-24-2008 | 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

I am not saying it is a good gun to use, I am just saying, that if that is all you have, you can do it.
Old 06-24-2008 | 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

...i would be scared **** less with a .22 against a bear.. i probably wouldnt be very comfortable with some slugs in a 12 gauge
Old 06-24-2008 | 09:40 PM
11 Second Club

You guys are way too paranoid.

My father and I were out deer hunting back home in the foot hills of the Graham Mt Range. I was almost 15, my father was in his early 50's at the time. It was bow season and during the rut, My father was sitting a good 50 yards infront of me, while I was blowing a bleet. I **** you not, I look over my left shoulder cause something was making a little bit of a rustling noise, it was a damn Mt lion. It was stalking me since I was blowing the bleet. Luckily I noticed in time, he was 13 feet from me to be precise.

My father and I always carrying a pistol with us, just for these ocasions. I was carrying my dads .22 revolver with magnum rounds in it. I pulled and shot as he was getting ready to pounce my ***. I had to shoot twice but killed him within 20 yards of were I first shot.

My dad come running thinking he was going to find a bloody mess. But started grinning when he came up on me and I had already slit the cats throat.

We didnt have a tag for him, so we called fish and game and told them what had happened. They ended up keeping the cat which really sucked, cause I wasn't able to get any pics or anything of it. And all my friends at school laughed at the idea of this.

And something else to ponder on. If you don't think a bear can be killed by a .22 then how the hell do you explain people killing them with a bow??
Old 06-24-2008 | 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by crazylane
And something else to ponder on. If you don't think a bear can be killed by a .22 then how the hell do you explain people killing them with a bow??
Stupidity?
Old 06-24-2008 | 10:06 PM
11 Second Club

Whats so stupid about that comment?

A standard long rifle .22 round has a valocity of 1070fps out of the muzzle of the barrel, at a 100 yards it only drops down to 890fps. With a 115ft-lbs out of the muzzle and a whopping 80 at a 100 yds.

My mathews compound bow coming of the string has 335fps and at 20 yds it drops down to a staggering 215fps. This is with a 115 grain broad head.

Usually 20 yds is the distance most bow hunters shoot at for any big animal. If you know how to shoot, at 20 yds a damn .22 will be just as deadly as a damn 1911.. A .22 caliber round will not usually go straight truth someones head, instead it bounces around inside. Were as any big caliber which would do more damage by just blowing your head off.. But thats not to say a .22 is not deadly enough.

Back home the reason we only carry a .22 is because if the game warden seen you with a bigger caliber, most of the time he will give you a hard time. thinking that you were planning on using that and not your bow.

Last edited by crazylane; 06-24-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dannyz
Well, maybe.
But I do quite a bit of 4 wheelin around the hills here, like evens creek, the shoestrings and for elbe I have an artic cat 4x4 that I like to play with.
I am not a mountain man but I do know my way about the area.
I have never seen a bear outside of a zoo anywhere near as big as this.
And if you ever get the chance to see a bear walk upright, its one of the most awkward movements you'll ever see.
This thing walked as smoothly as I do.
I keep going back to the possibility that it was someone playing a prank, but again it dosn't seem likely.
It was not a weekend night. Except for the couple of people way below us at the bottom of a steep hill, no one else was around.
We were on a "spur", that was more then just a hop, skip and a jump up from the main road.
There are hundreds of these little cut off's in that area.
It was a dead end at the top where we parked with no intersecting roads up to it.
What are the odds of a couple of guys hiding out in a remote part of the wood's on a week night, on the one spur out of a hundred where the only moving vehicle in the area drives up on?
There are probably lots of people that might try a stunt like that to make the news and have a good laugh. But... the odds of that are a lot higher than running into a bigfoot--which I personally don't believe exist. Just offering what I'd consider the best explanation for the story that was told. In any case, we've all been there at some point and know how you felt. It's not fun when it happens to you--for sure.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
Not being able to see will creep most of us out. We had a bear stomping around outside our tent in Glacier Nat'l Park one DARK night....couldn't see my hand in front of my face. Me, the wife & our son (8 yrs old at the time). I had my 357 & my flashlight ready but I was scared shitless listening to him stomp around snorting wondering if/when/where he was going to come thru the tent!
Damn! That's like a worst nightmare...wondering if you'll wind up as bear crap! While not the best, I'd take the .357 over nothing in a heartbeat in that situation. We had a night like that in northern Idaho one time. 4 of us ended up sleeping in the back of a van.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
would a 357 be able to take down a large bear?
While it's possible there are other questions that go along with that one. Among them...Would it be able to take down the bear before the bear took you down? Probably not unless you got real lucky? People carry handguns in bear country because it's better than nothing and the chances of actually being attacked are remote. People planning to deal with bears carry powerful rifles or shotguns for the reason that they'll do the job reliably.
Old 06-24-2008 | 11:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sidewayz28
big foot?
i was gonna say the same thing? apparently there have been a lot of sightings in washington
Old 06-25-2008 | 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

yeah, heard that too^.
Old 06-25-2008 | 02:15 PM
TECH Regular

Do you have side rails (the step up rail things that hang under your door) that the bear/guy could have been walking on when you saw his shoulders and head, making him seem super tall? It could have been a bear looking standing up looking around in curiosity, trying to see what he could find to eat? Doesn't explain the rock getting thrown at you after who/whatever jumped into the bushes, so it must've been some kind of prank.
Old 06-25-2008 | 02:20 PM
TECH Junkie

or sasquatch was curious....
Old 06-25-2008 | 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a lot of Bigfoot -Sasquach sightings in that area. There were even some guys from one of those Backroads or Evening Magazine shows (I can't remember which) that went out in search of Bigfoot for one of their shows. They were calling for Bigfoot, heard something coming toward them that they believed was a Bigfoot, jumped in their truck and left for Seattle. Scared them right out of town and no, that show didn't air..

Anyway, there are bound to be believers and non believers, just like the ones that don't believe I saw a UFO or don't believe in Ghosts. They won't believe it until they see it for themselves. I would love to experience what you did...although it scares me just thinking about it..
Old 06-25-2008 | 11:24 PM
Staging Lane

Bigfoot are known for tossing rocks. Did you notice a strong smell by chance?
You may have heard a "vocalization".

WA Reports

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/state_listing.asp?state=wa

Mason County report w/ pics, East side of the Olympic Mts. on private land south of Union:

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=23160

Old 06-26-2008 | 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

I will believe it when I see it. Until then I am going to call BS. Same with UFO's

I believe in ghosts though..
Old 06-26-2008 | 07:09 PM
Staging Lane

Ill have to agree with crazylane about the .22 as long as you can shoot well and dont panic a .22 will kill just about anything. Hell i would rather be shot by a larger caliber that would go completely through me. .22s are notorious for entering the body and bouncing around causing massive internal damage. But then again i have been shooting and hunting my whole life.
Old 06-26-2008 | 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
Do you have side rails (the step up rail things that hang under your door) that the bear/guy could have been walking on when you saw his shoulders and head, making him seem super tall? It could have been a bear looking standing up looking around in curiosity, trying to see what he could find to eat? Doesn't explain the rock getting thrown at you after who/whatever jumped into the bushes, so it must've been some kind of prank.
No, I don't have nerf bars on the ford.
What I saw walked around the front of the Bronco and around to the drivers side. I was standing to the rear of the truck and when he walked around the front of it I could actually see the top of his shoulder over the roof line from where I stood, as he walked around it, and his head as well.
My Bronco sits on 35" tires, and the top of the roof is a couple of inchs over my head, and I am right close to about 6'5" tall.
I parked my Bronco in the driveway, [ level ] and stood behind it at what I felt was about the same distance as I was that night.
I looked over the top to the top frame of my garage door and picked a spot using mt best judgement of how high this thing stood.
I even subtracted 6" and still measured a full 7' plus a bit.
Absolutely could not have been a bear.
When they walk on their hind legs it is a shuffling, wobbling gate.
This thing walked as smooth as you or I.