Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Start of a new path

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Start of a new path

Yesterday was my first day at Tyee Aircraft. I started as an entry level machinist. They're starting me out on the hone, today was my first day training on the two big hones they have. Learning a lot of new things and remembering the next morning how little I've used my arms and biceps since leaving les schwab. I also did some work on the lathe trimming pieces and padding tubes for the cnc lathe.

So far I'm enjoying it. I love learning stuff and although the hours are long until we get caught up (5am-3:30pm Mon-Fri plus most saturdays 7am-3:30pm) I think the skills I'm learning and the overtime will pay off in the long run.

I was able to get the WS6 tabbed so I can drive it to work for now until I can find a daily since a 7 mile commute isn't going to get optimum gas mileage.

Anyways just thought I'd give you guys an update on the new job.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:31 AM
On The Tree

get a scooter for 7 miles!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:53 AM
12 Second Club

That's great you started your new job. Honing is a real messy job but it's a good start. You will get real good with bore gages and close tolerances. It's nice to here that there so busy working that much O/T were not that busy now but have plenty of work. Say hi to Brenda in document control for me.

Bill Sallia
Old 09-10-2008, 10:14 AM
11 Second Club

I hate honeing... lol. CNC's are awesome to work with, if you get the oppertunity, go for it. Been doing it for 9 years now. Wel not right now I am not doing it, but thats my trade.. Love it.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
10 Second Club

Congrats Josh! Learning a trade like that is ALWAYS a good thing. I tried working at a machine shop once. They sarted me off at the solvent cleaning tank, and didn't give me protective clothing or boots to wear. I spent the next 4 days at home nursing 1" tall blisters that completely covered the tops of my feet & went part way up my legs. Needless to say that was a 1 day job.....

Quick Reply: Start of a new path