Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Expert Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Paint Expert Help Please

I have a 2006 Corvette that I had stripes painted on. The paint shop cleared over the stripes and just the stripes. They told me that they would be able to smooth out the outside edges of the stripes so there wasn't a step between the colors. After wet sanding and buffing there is still a step between the colors. Due to the fact that the clear is dry and cured, would it be safe bury the stripes under more clear? I don't want to have problems with cracking or flaking. Has anyone done this?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Junkie

you would have to sand and reclear every panel with the stripes but yes it would get rid of the step
Old 12-21-2008, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
you would have to sand and reclear every panel with the stripes but yes it would get rid of the step
So I couldn't just add more clear over the top then?
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whichever panel has stripe on it will need to be scotchbrited with a grey pad and recleared. 2 or 3 coats should be good enough to wetsand and polish nice and flat once it's all dry.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Whistler
Whichever panel has stripe on it will need to be scotchbrited with a grey pad and recleared. 2 or 3 coats should be good enough to wetsand and polish nice and flat once it's all dry.
yep, what he said...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Addict

he beat me to it. personally i would block the line done as much as you can without going through the exsisting clear with like 1000 and then 2-4 coats more of clear.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
he beat me to it. personally i would block the line done as much as you can without going through the exsisting clear with like 1000 and then 2-4 coats more of clear.
If I do this, is it going to crack or flake?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

I would wetsand the thecurrent clear to level it as much as possible if you want to add more clear, wetsand the panels 12-18" from the stripes. when you re-spray the clear, Sherwin williams (and others), sell a blending agent that acually melts the new clear when flashed into the old exisiting clear to prevent the halo effect you normally get when trying to clear just a portion of a panel. let me know if you need the PN# for the blending agent I can dig it out for you. it works VERY well.

But the thing to understand.........simply piling on more clear isnt going to hide the lines, if you can feel it when you spray you will feel it when its dry, you ma have to sand/spray several coats to smooth the transitions. If you pile TOO much clear on, you will get solvent pop(fish eyes in the finish that appear several days after you spray) and the finish will look worse than when you started so be careful!
Old 12-22-2008, 04:01 PM
On The Tree

just have the shop or who ever paints it again to just sand it down with 800 or 1000 grit sand paper to level the paint lines down. sand the rest of the hood with 800 or 1000 also and put 2 more coats of clear on it sand and buff it and enjoy. no need to try and burn the clear in on a 2006 vette(half *** fix).
Old 12-22-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by eric1h
I would wetsand the thecurrent clear to level it as much as possible if you want to add more clear, wetsand the panels 12-18" from the stripes. when you re-spray the clear, Sherwin williams (and others), sell a blending agent that acually melts the new clear when flashed into the old exisiting clear to prevent the halo effect you normally get when trying to clear just a portion of a panel. let me know if you need the PN# for the blending agent I can dig it out for you. it works VERY well.

But the thing to understand.........simply piling on more clear isnt going to hide the lines, if you can feel it when you spray you will feel it when its dry, you ma have to sand/spray several coats to smooth the transitions. If you pile TOO much clear on, you will get solvent pop(fish eyes in the finish that appear several days after you spray) and the finish will look worse than when you started so be careful!
i just have a few comments on this and by no means am i trying to be an *******. but i dont care who makes what blending agents they suck. nothing should be blend into exsisting clear especially if you are looking for quality in my opinion. you might not get the halo right away but give it 8 months to a year and its going to be there eventually and its going to have to be re-done or buffed back in depending on how good of a job you do. and yes your right by piling more clear on your still going to feel the line but thats what hes asking. if he piles more clear on can he block the line out. the answer is yes. if you dont have enoughclear your going to burn right through where the exsisting line was. basically you want to wetsand the clear down as flat as possible without going through the exsisting clear. then clear over it by putting 3 coats probablly at most. to prevent solvent pop dont rush the flash times inbetween coats or before baking because thats exactly how you get it and same thing with fish eye but thats usually by some kind of suface contaminants or not wiping the silicone remover off enough before painting or something along those lines. if its done right there should be no cracking or peeling.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:42 PM
On The Tree

i just have a few comments on this and by no means am i trying to be an *******. but i dont care who makes what blending agents they suck. nothing should be blend into exsisting clear especially if you are looking for quality in my opinion. you might not get the halo right away but give it 8 months to a year and its going to be there eventually and its going to have to be re-done or buffed back in depending on how good of a job you do. and yes your right by piling more clear on your still going to feel the line but thats what hes asking. if he piles more clear on can he block the line out. the answer is yes. if you dont have enoughclear your going to burn right through where the exsisting line was. basically you want to wetsand the clear down as flat as possible without going through the exsisting clear. then clear over it by putting 3 coats probablly at most. to prevent solvent pop dont rush the flash times inbetween coats or before baking because thats exactly how you get it and same thing with fish eye but thats usually by some kind of suface contaminants or not wiping the silicone remover off enough before painting or something along those lines. if its done right there should be no cracking or peeling.

The shop will be clearing the the whole panel, on all the panels. I'm waiting for them to quote me a price.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mhoglund
The shop will be clearing the the whole panel, on all the panels. I'm waiting for them to quote me a price.
As it turns out the shop I've been working with doesn't want to wetsand and add more clear. They are afraid that the new clear won't adhere to whats already there. I guess I will have to find another shop. Anyone know of one in the NW burbs of Chicago?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Launching!

Thats bs!!! They just dont want to do it. It dont necessarily have to be wet sanded. just sand it down with 800 dont burn through and re clear. Two good wet coats should do the job.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
correct color sand and clear
Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

pm sent.
Old 12-24-2008, 04:00 PM
Launching!

This is the perfect answer and imo the best way to do it. And what kind of half *** hack would try and do a blend with the clear like that..... and on a 2006 Vette at that. That shop is scarred for some odd reason to reclear the whole pannels, **** what do they think they are doing on blend only pannels, ******* tards
Old 12-24-2008, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cvalliere
This is the perfect answer and imo the best way to do it. And what kind of half *** hack would try and do a blend with the clear like that..... and on a 2006 Vette at that. That shop is scarred for some odd reason to reclear the whole pannels, **** what do they think they are doing on blend only pannels, ******* tards

+1 what he said.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

yep trust me on this. shoot me a pm or give me a call and ill take care of your hood for you.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

yep trust me on this. shoot me a pm or give me a call and ill take care of your hood for you.
Its not just the hood. Its the hood, roof, the area behind the roof, the decklid, part of the rear bumper, and the spoiler. I'll give you a call soon.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Addict

^^ so what its just going to be a bigger job. do you have a garage to do the prep work because i can only use the shop saturdays? if tis prepped then all we have to do is use the booth to shoot the car and it would make things easier. call me soon we'll get something worked out. im looking forward to this job.

Quick Reply: Paint Expert Help Please