Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

PPG Envirobase users in here

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPG Envirobase users in here

Well about 8 months ago my shop switched from DBC to EHP. It was a relatively smooth transition and, personally I like MUCH better than DBC. We have had some minor issues but it's more or less related to it being such a new product and it is basically being field tested by us painters, and the manufactures of gun cleaning equipment and PPG themselves are still learning.

So, I was just wondering if maybe some of you guys can post up any problems, tips, tricks, guns you prefer and tip sizes, ect.. Maybe we could all learn something form one another.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

out of curiosity, is this the line that is waterbased
Old 01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Addict

yeah thats the water based line. im not a ppg guy what so ever but i figured id check the thread out to see how people like this. from what i seen the color is normally darker in the car then when it gets sprayed out. also for water based paints i like the annest iwata guns over the sata guns but im still in a shop using solvent based so the satas are the way to go for me lol.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

used water based twice in r&m its ok color matched good. only tips i have been given is use a stainless gun like a iwata or stainless sata cant use a cheap gun with it. other than that i sprays like normal paint.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are these type of water based paints safer health wise?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Launching!

I personally am using a Tekna non HVLP version with a 1.3 fluid tip, I've tried the Devilbiss CVI and Iwata and I liked the Tekna MUCH better. It's is a little safer but you still need to use the proper safety equipment. You can't use just any stainless gun cause most higher line guns are stainless, it's all about he grade of stainless. I have another painter I work with that was using Diamont waterbase and he liked it but the only thing he didn't like is you can't save it because it is activated. Envirobase is not activated so you can save it if it's reduced, they also have an activator that you can put in it.
Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hear eventualy its goin to be the only paint you can use
Old 01-29-2009, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cvalliere
I personally am using a Tekna non HVLP version with a 1.3 fluid tip
badass gun... i've sold a ton of them.. and its what i use

Originally Posted by redramair98
yup.. in California and Canada it is already waterbased only... it will take another 10 years or so for it to be mandated across the country.. but a lot of shops are using it as a "go green" campaign.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Regular

yeah i have heard those rumors for 5 or so years this will put alot of small shops out of business cause the curing is diffrent so need new booths and heat lamps
Originally Posted by redramair98
you work in pittsburgh? only shop i know of using full water base is wright automotive
Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BLULS1Z28
yeah i have heard those rumors for 5 or so years this will put alot of small shops out of business cause the curing is diffrent so need new booths and heat lamps
it is definitely different.. but you don't need a new booth.. a lot more airflow and some heat is needed... but i've been involved in a few retrofits.. and they weren't that bad cost-wise.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:07 AM
Launching!

Yeah you need more air flow in the booth, it's not all about heat, you can retrofit the booths with blowers in the corners or you can get these air blowers and set them up on stands that are made for them. The talk is by 2012-2014 that it will be mandated.
This is what we have so far, there are talks about retrofitting our booths also.

http://www.anestiwata.com/products/waterbourne.cfm
Old 01-30-2009, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Wow, nobody on here sprays this stuff? I know it's not being used a whole lot, yet. Hell the closest place I know of that is spraying this product is 2hrs. away in the Detroit area.

Quick Reply: PPG Envirobase users in here