Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

clear coat question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clear coat question

Hi all, my clear is peeling in a few places and its thinner than a piece of paper.
I like the color of my car and don't want to repaint it so.....prolly a silly question but...can I just have it re-cleared? and what do you guys think a fair price from a shop would be to do it?
Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:24 PM
On The Tree

nah you really need to strip it down and repaint it
Old 04-17-2009, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

not really the answer I wanted to read but that's kinda what I thought.
that sucks....and is going to be a pretty nice chunk of change for a job done right the first time.
Thanks for the reply
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Not tryin to hi-jack the thread but wat if the clear is still in decent shape? Can it be scuffed and recleared?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

hey, i work in a body shop 13 yrs exp. what i would do is is if the paint is real thin instead of using liquid striper take a D.A. sander with 180 grit and sand it down past the E coat ( e coat is a tan color ) then sand it with 320. Now depending on what the color the car is will dictate your next step.If your going to try and do this yourself i can walk you through it, but if you want a shop to do it, as i said depending on your color you will need do blend your fenders for a good match. If you want a shop to do it you can save alot of money by sanding your hood like i told you and then take a Grey 3M scotch brite pad and scuff the fenders down with water and soap non silicon soap till there is no shine. Basically what your doing is the paint shop part , this is were i work . At our shop it pays 2.5 hrs to strip a hood and 3.5 hrs to paint plus 1.0 hr per fender to blend. paint labor is usually 24 dollars per hour. now do the math when you add up the hours this is how much you will pay to paint the car now you have to pay for materials. whatever the hours add up to this will be the hours for the materials X 20 dollars per hour If you have any questions just ask .
paint labor 8.0 hrs X $24.00 = 192
paint materials 8.0 X $20.00 = 160
total is $352.00
this does not include bodywork for dents or cracks this extra and shops have different rates but this will give you an idea of what you can expect.