Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how to sand car

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 01:21 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to sand car

wanting to paint my car i want to paint it flat black untill i find a nice color i would like to have but would like to know on how to sand it and any thing i should know thanks
Old 08-07-2009, 04:19 PM
On The Tree

im just gonna throw out some numbers of sandpaper, dunno if everyone will agree, i'm def. not a pro. and get yourself a sanding block so it's even.
400, 1000 grit, maybe even some 2000 in between coats?
wetsand and rinse till there's no glossy sheen. lay a few thin coats of flat black primer, wetsand with the 1000, lay another thin coat of primer, hit it again with the 1000 if you think it needs it. grab your SATIN (not flat, flat will fade and look like charcoal) black paint, lay a few thin coats, hit it with 2000 after it dries, do a final thin coat or two.

should come out decent. that's the basic procedure to do both the ceta mod and the berger panel, so it should work for a whole car too, in my opinion. but it's definitely not going to be a professional looking job... i think.

if you wanted it professionally done in satin or semi-gloss, there's a brand of paint that makes 'hot rod black' or something similar. there's at least one 4th gen on here painted with it, and it looks amazing!

i'm thinking of trying this out soon so at least my body panels will match for the time being.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

It really depends on the type of paint your using, at work we prime over 80 grit sand it with 240 and buff then sell the truck for 250k. Usually a good safe middle ground is any where between 400-600 if it's a low solids type paint. You don't wana go to fine or there wont be any mechanical adhesion and it could peel at the car wash(or any where). If you insist on going finer at least spray a adhesion promoter before you spray, and a good sealer is recommended but not necessary. I'm a ASE certified auto collision tech to.