Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

remove paint from the bumper cover?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default remove paint from the bumper cover?

im in the process of doing the body work to my trans am and the paint on the bumper covers is coming off. in flakes. is there a way to take it all the way down to the original plastic without hurting it? i have aircraft stripper but im kinda worried about using it on it. also whats the best way to get the clearcoat off since its flaking really bad too. the car has been repainted before but they repainted over the original paint and it looks like **** and cracking.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont use airplane stripper on plastic, if left on it can get into the plastic and either eat the plastic or it can seep out after new primer/paint has been applied. Essentially ruining a new paint job. If its cracking all the way down to the original paint your best bet would be to take some 80 grit on a D A and take it to the plastic and start fresh. Thats what I did.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

its cracking all the way down to the plastic... some parts are black like around the fog lights. is there anyway to fix the holes from the factory license plate mount? kansas doesnt require a front plate. and i didnt figure aircraft stripper would work.
also i dont have a DA as much as i want one... it was my favorite tool when i worked at a body shop

Last edited by 97badass; 08-30-2009 at 02:11 PM. Reason: also i dont have a DA as much as i want one... it was my favorite tool when i worked at a body shop
Old 08-30-2009, 03:42 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could try palstic welding the holes shut with a plastic welding kit. If you have an adjustable speed buffer you can use that as a sander. Just have to slow it down and buy some bigger sandpaper.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Smile

Originally Posted by Noah's95z28
Dont use airplane stripper on plastic, if left on it can get into the plastic and either eat the plastic or it can seep out after new primer/paint has been applied. Essentially ruining a new paint job. If its cracking all the way down to the original paint your best bet would be to take some 80 grit on a D A and take it to the plastic and start fresh. Thats what I did.
yes this is best method just dont fuzz up the rubber to much when sanding.
Old 09-01-2009, 03:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tals7
yes this is best method just dont fuzz up the rubber to much when sanding.
This very correct, I have used 80 grit paper until I hit the rubber and ended up messing up the bumper with the 80 grit. If it was me I would take the 80 grit down to the first paint job and then go to a lighter grit.
Old 09-03-2009, 11:25 PM
Banned

Just take a DA with 320 paper it will sand right out

Quick Reply: remove paint from the bumper cover?