Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

T-Tops Alignment

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T-Tops Alignment

Hi, everyone.

I understand this is a nuisance for almost every T-top owner in the long road, and that having subrame connectors can effectively counter this problem. But for those of you who experienced having the T-tops misaligning or even to the point where they can come off even with the latch locked closed, is the problem clearly visible on the body structure where the T-top meets either the front or rear windshield columns?

Basically, I want to know if misaligned T-tops show signs from plain appearance, or if it hits the owner without warning by having the T-top blow off or something.

Also, those of you with badly misaligned T-tops, how did you fix it?
Old 09-23-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The T-Top adjustment is pretty easy . . . at the two outside corners of the car are the two little holes that the t-top trust bolts slide into. remove the a-pillar trim, and the small trim caps at the rear, you will see the bent plates that are bolted to the car structure. In back will need to remove the clothes hook, and the trim ring around the seat belt. I used a small ratchet wrench to loosen the bolts.

Loosen the bolts and slide the clips around. There are also typically shims for the verticle alignment. Test and tune the clip locations and then repeat for the other side . .

Once you see HOW the t-top latches, I cannot see for the life of me how a propoerly latched t-top can ever come off. I hinestly beleive t-tops fly off, due to unfortunate forgetfulness on latching or completely latching the tops.

Quick Reply: T-Tops Alignment