Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Paint Process?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 01:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Paint Process?

Hey guys,

I'm repainting a fender. (Not for our cars)

The body work is all done.. now I just need help with the process and what materials I need.

The fender needs to be primed, colored, and cleared.

What grit sandpapers will I need, wet/dry.

And Can I get a process? Such as.. "1. Spray light coat of primer, sand in between coats" etc. Something like that would be great. I would like this to come out as flawless as possible.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if all the bodywork is done and the fender doesnt have body filler on the whole thing sand ther rest with 320 if your goin to pime the entire thing if not just the area that will be primed lay on a med the wet coat let flash for about 5 min then hut it again with a wet coat same thing let it flash put about 4-5 coats once the primer is dry sand with 400 wet on a block if possible then 600 wet if you want you can spray sealer on it but you dont have to make sure there is no filler or metal showing before you paint it if so use spray can primer when basing it out hit med to wet coats till covered make sure you have the rite temp reducer once thats covered was the gun and prep your clear that should be enough dry time if the base still looks wet wait a lil then hit the clear a med to wet then the rest wet to color sand use 1500 then 2000 for materials i like ppg or dupont products primers bases and clears they even have spray can prime to works real good
Old 09-25-2009, 12:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks man. Do I need to sand in between coats of clear? Or just sand after the last coat of clear, then polish?
Old 09-25-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

u cant sand between coats because the claer takes a while to dry if its just a fender just clear and colorsand and polish if its the whole car and you want a badass result put 3-4 coats wait bout a day or two sand 600 without burning through then clear again with 3-4 then colorsand and buff and the result is a badass paint job hope this helped