Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

hood latch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default hood latch question

I have been having a major problem aligning my body panels, so today I decided to take another shot at it. I can get everything aligned, but when I install the hood latch and close it, the hood itself will stay popped up on one side.

Without the hood latch installed, everything lines up fine. It never had this problem before I tried installing an OEM ss hood, but now it does. I never though aligning body panels were this hard. Is their anything I can do to remedy this , and has anyone had this problem? It latches fine, but it just causes it to stay popped out. It doesn't lay flush at all

I should also say that their are no bends or anything on the car. No crinkles, or anything.

Last edited by pooker; 10-04-2009 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:35 PM
Staging Lane

Take a look at your hood stops that are on top of the core support I believe. Make sure one is not higher than the other one. I have had the same problem before on other cars and took them out to determine if that was the problem. Turns out on that particular one, I had the hood latch slightly tilted down on one side causing the other side of the hood to pop up above the fender. Also was the car ever wrecked before?
Old 10-04-2009, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

No it was just beat up. I have completely removed all doors, fenders, bumper, and hood and inspected it and nothing was wrong.

The only reason I replaced every panel was because it was just trashed. Cracking like someone leaned up against it. The bottom of the bumper was ripped like if you went over a steep hill, and I wanted an SS hood.

I actually don't have any hood stops, and I just took out the hood latch and every panel lines up, but I just find it weird because before I replaced all of this they all lined up.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
Staging Lane

What is the hood resting on when you close it without the latch in it? Is your hood lock sitting level when you bolt it up in the car? You don't have it leaning down anywhere do you? If you do not have hood stops get yourself some put back in to it to help you adjust the hood heights.

Quick Reply: hood latch question